ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Strange customer...

<< < (9/12) > >>

mouser:
I think veign makes some great points.
This is one of those cases where the extra work up front both serves to protect you *and* will convey to the other person that you are a professional and know what you are doing.  You may increase your price based on preparing a proposal or quote, but it's bound to be worth the time.

John2k:
Excellent advice! Thank you.

I'll certainly consider writing an article when this sad(or hopefully good) story ends.

I have been a developer for quite some years now, but unfortunately I've never had the (dis)pleasure of customer interaction with regards to setting time frames, contractual obligations, or even liaising about design aspects.
The 'managers' dealt with that stuff.

I suppose there is more to a programmer than writing code!

I'm glad to have posted, you've all been a great help, with really good advice.
I'll certainly keep you all posted on how this pans out.

Thanks.
John.

steeladept:
One other thing to note that I learned in my MBA law class that you will want to consider (and Veign, you may wish to add) putting in all contracts:

1) Phrases specifying explicitly what is NOT included (in addition to what is as you already have mentioned) that may be expected by new contract negotiators.
2) A covering phrase stating anything that is not explicitly included in this contract is hereby explicitly excluded.

Without these statements, many contracts end up in the courts and get thrown out as a "No meeting of the minds" type contract where the judge works more as a mediator to renegotiate the contract or make it null and void.

That said, it does not invalidate anything else already mentioned, it only adds to it.

mouser:
really great, simple point steeladept.

Veign:
steeladept,
Item #1 I already include.  Mine usually contains things like hosting and domain name

Item #2 - Where would something like this go?  In the TOS or at the bottom of the Scope of Work section?  This is something I would like to add and thanx for the advice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version