ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Strange customer...

<< < (8/12) > >>

mouser:
get paid for the work you've done so far before you add stuff.  or use an escrow service.

John2k:
I took everyones advice and emailed him for payment for work done so far.
He's still being difficult about making significant changes, but I made it clear that I will not do anymore until a payment is made.

Anymore hassle will definitley result in me walking away from it (which I should have done earlier).

I'll post back and let you know what he says.

Thanks.

Ralf Maximus:
Thanks for the update!  Hope all turns out well.

tinjaw:
I've been lurking on this thread. Good advice. An good luck to you John2K. It sounds like you have gotten things straightened out. You might want to think about writing up an article about your experience and presenting it to some of the popular developer websites. They are always looking for that type of postmortem article.

Veign:
That's a good idea TinJaw.  An article that has two versions: the way I did it and the way I should have done it.  Let others learn from what you experienced.

All projects I do with new customers require a proposal.  The proposal has several parts:
1) Quote: Simple itemized list of cost and the terms of payment (for me its 50% down / 50% upon completion)
2) Scope Of Work: Details of what will be delivered, whats required (like a server supporting PHP and MySQL - never make assumptions with a contract), what the client has to provide and what the time frame on the project is (with a clause about client induced delays)
3) Terms of Service: This is a the legal stuff about ownership, payments, project completion and review and all the standard legal stuff.

This fully outlines what they will receive, for what price and what is in place to protect both parties.

Also the Quote includes a statement that reads "by accepting this quote you accept the Terms of Service by default".  This is further protection as the TOS is what protects me and my services.

Once I have a 'good' project behind me with a client I can be a little more lenient with the proposal process for simple projects.  I still do a proposal for all complex, time consuming projects where the Scope of Work needs to be better defined than an email or phone call can do.

After you do a few proposal you will have a template of cookie cutter phrases and terms so writing them becomes easier and easier.

Good luck and spend a little time developing your contracts.

Also, having a professional proposal makes you look more professional in the clients eyes as its usually the first thing you develop/prepare for them.  They will judge you by the professional aspect of your proposal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version