ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Strange customer...

<< < (3/12) > >>

f0dder:
Also, never-ever go for a "payment on success" payment strategy, I've burned my fingers with that crap.

John2k:
Thanks for all of your replies.

Originally I wanted to use PayPal, but as mouser said, it would confirm to the customer who I really am, and put the customer at ease.
Although, asking for so many personal details, it could be a bad idea.

The project value is $5000 as is, and $2 per unit sold. Not great, but not bad considering I wasn't earning a great deal with the current version, plus a relatively short development time. He has proposed future applications at better rates.

I am from the UK, and he resides in Canada.

Also, never-ever go for a "payment on success" payment strategy, I've burned my fingers with that crap.
-f0dder (October 09, 2007, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

The wonders of hindsight!  :D

John.

mitzevo:
You could just ask them/him/her why they need that information. [And if they ask why you asked, for your own protection of course.]

he says that he wants to protect himself for when he makes his payment to me.
--- End quote ---

He does want me to sign a contract and stop distrubuting the program that his is based on.
--- End quote ---

Insurance I guess - So if he finds out that you have broken the contract in any way, i.e., started selling your own slightly modified version of his product, he can sue *some body* instead of trying to track down your net identity (which would probably be easy any how).

So I think best is to just ask why he needs what he wants and explain why you care.

Ralf Maximus:
Ah. Forget what I said about US crypto rules -- they don't apply to a UK/Canada transaction.

As mouser suggests, don't give him your passport.  There are other ways to prove your identity without giving up your personal history.  He might be looking at the contractor tax angle and simply be looking for data necessary to declare his expenditures to the tax man, and requesting it in a ham-fisted manner.  Might be worth a polite inquiry as to why he thinks he needs your passport data.

$5000 doesn't seem like enough to give up any existing/future software sales of your current product, especially since the $2 per unit sold is based on HIM doing everything right.  Most business ventures don't work out, so the odds are against you seeing any royalties.

It occurs to me you hold all the cards.  Push back with a revised contract eliminating his silly requirements and see what happens.

John2k:
I just emailed the customer and told him to forget my passport (politely).

The revised contract is a good idea. When I receive one from him, I'll post it up so you can all take a look.

Thanks for the all of the advice, appreciate it!

John.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version