topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 1:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free Game: POTC Desktop Galleon  (Read 9599 times)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Free Game: POTC Desktop Galleon
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:38 PM »
I like pirates, which might be evident from my ghostly green skull-and-bones monkey icon.

And I've played a LOT of pirate-themed games which, to put it politely, suck bilgewater.

Leave it to Disney to create a fun little desktop diversion called Desktop Galleon, buryed deep within their new Pirates Online website (beta):

http://preview.tinyurl.com/38n3uu

It's a wee little freebie that installs a gorgeous pirate ship on your desktop.  You can sail it around using the cursor keys, and when you're ready for fun, engage BATTLE MODE!  Then wave after wave of enemy ships come to attack, and of course the ones you vanquish yield gold and rum. Collect enough booty and you can unlock "treasures" from the Disney pirates website: usually behind-the-scenes art for the new online game (meh).

Note that the ship actually does sail ON YOUR DESKTOP, among your wallpaper and icons.  Outside of battle mode, you can optionally leave the ship anchored on your desktop so it's ready when you are for a quick diversion.

It's absurdly easy to play, but gets more difficult with each passing wave of ships.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well engineered this little gem is.

Highly recommended.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free Game: POTC Desktop Galleon
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:33 PM »
Nice little diversion. Too bad I can't go over to my second monitor. :(