ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Managing projects with OUTLOOK

<< < (6/8) > >>

Curt:
... it got caught in Gmail's spam filter, -thomthowolf (October 23, 2007, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

How big is this file? KB or MB ?? Is it a .pst ???

thomthowolf:
... it got caught in Gmail's spam filter, -thomthowolf (October 23, 2007, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

How big is this file? KB or MB ?? Is it a .pst ???
-Curt (October 23, 2007, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
It is a .pst about 130 KB

CWuestefeld:
It looks like you have two distinct areas of need. On one hand you cited a number of planning tools like MS Project. On the other hand you mention a specific need for managing a set of current tasks through Outlook.

For the first set of requirements, I'm not aware of anything that integrates well with Outlook, but other than that there were already excellent options posted like Open Workbench.

For Outlook-integrated task management, I'd suggest looking at Zoot (http://www.zootsoftware.com/). This organizer is in many ways a successor to Ecco in the way that it allows a grid view of data. It allows hierarchical folders for your items, and you can define rules determining how things are placed into folders automatically (and in fact things can be in multiple folders, and can be allocated there dynamically!).

The biggest criticism of Zoot is that it's a 16-bit, text-only application. However, there's currently a public beta of a 32-bit port, and my understanding is that once its ported, rich text support will be the next feature added.

mitch_c:
Great messageboard!

Armando I tested the EasyProjectPlan program you found.

FANTASTIC!

I think you missed the point with the price of the program. the license allows you to freely distribute the file to an unlimited number of people.

I am able to distribute my msp files to everyone who uses excel and the progeam has no install so they can open it as soon as they get the file.

Considering the cost of putting a Project Viewer on every desk top or installing Microsoft Project Server,  the EasyProjectPlan price tag is actually a fraction of the cost with no hastle.

Cost comparison:
1. $15,000 to $70,000 Microsoft Project Server
2. $3,000 to $30,000 Project viewer for 100/1000 users ($30 per license)
3. $200 EasyProjectPlan - unlimited distribution and no install program!

Armando:
Hummmm... Thank you very much mitch_c. I'll check that one out and modify my first post. [Edit : actually, yes, it is a deal if you plan on sharing it with team members. (I wonder how the company controls that? OK, I got it.). Still expensive if you're buying it only for yourself.]
And Welcome to Donationcoder!  :)

It looks like you have two distinct areas of need. On one hand you cited a number of planning tools like MS Project. On the other hand you mention a specific need for managing a set of current tasks through Outlook.
-CWuestefeld (October 24, 2007, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

The reason why project planning tools are also mentioned is that I'm looking for a way to integrate my Ootlook task management with my project management. Like I said, I'd rather have only one set of tasks and not two, and I'd rather have my Outlook tasks working well with my project management software.

For Outlook-integrated task management, I'd suggest looking at Zoot (http://www.zootsoftware.com/). This organizer is in many ways a successor to Ecco in the way that it allows a grid view of data. It allows hierarchical folders for your items, and you can define rules determining how things are placed into folders automatically (and in fact things can be in multiple folders, and can be allocated there dynamically!).

The biggest criticism of Zoot is that it's a 16-bit, text-only application. However, there's currently a public beta of a 32-bit port, and my understanding is that once its ported, rich text support will be the next feature added.
-CWuestefeld (October 24, 2007, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't aware that Zoot could help managing Outlook tasks. I must say that I haven't trialed zoot that much since the 16-bit version wouldn't work properly on my system. Hence, I'm still waiting for the 32-bit version -- shouldn't it be out soon? I think I'll just try the public beta since you mentionned it ! Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version