topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ghost car!  (Read 12492 times)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Ghost car!
« on: October 07, 2007, 10:53 AM »
This has got to be the weirdest police chase video I have ever seen:
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=CO9Ve03s41w

It looks pretty normal up until the very end.  Then prepare to have your mind blown.  And don't worry -- this is not one of those stupid things where a monster jumps out at the end and makes you pee involuntarily.

What does this have to do with software?  They don't say, but I bet the dude in the car is being chased for copyright infringement by RIAA enforcers.  :-)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ghost car!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Kind of cool... but I can think of a range of hypotheses as to what happened at the end. I'm not going to spoil it for everybody else right now, though!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:17 PM »
after pausing the video and taking a screengrab i think i have a very good idea how it's possible...

Spoiler
cody-ghost-rider.jpg

truth is stranger than fiction yet again!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 12:52 PM »
after pausing the video and taking a screengrab i think i have a very good idea how it's possible...
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

João cracks open laughing

Kuntau

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • My English is bad :(
    • View Profile
    • Tech.Kuntau | Info Sharing Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 01:05 PM »
It is 3am here~ I will watch tomorrow LOL  :-[

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 01:09 PM »
Good idea; that screenshot of the driver nudone captured will give you nightmares.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 01:37 PM »
truth is stranger than fiction yet again!

Good one!  ;D

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Hmmm, that guy is everywhere as lately, so it could be him. I think he stole some kind of teleportation device, and Harry Potter's invisibility cape, giving all the mischief he has caused. We need to set him some kind of trap, it's going a bit too further ;D

As for the video, setting aside it looks like a highly edited record, I'd like to read Darwin's take on the matter :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 10:59 PM »
The first thing that occurred to me was that that particular type of fencing material is pretty flexible and there is clearly a post in the picture. All that would need to happen is for the material not to be secured to the post at that point - the fencing material would move out of the way like a curtain does when someone runs through it, returning to it's original position. Think about it, the driver obviously didn't care about his/her or anyone else's safety and wouldn't, to my mind, have thought twice about driving through the fence. The other thought that occurred to me is that it's not clear what is to the right of the fence post in the picture, perhaps just out of our line of sight is a gate or an opening in the fence. I'm not even convinced that there IS a fence to the right of the post, but it's not clear. Anyway, as you note, it's a highly edited video.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 01:36 AM »
i'd go with that, Darwin. first thing that came into my head after watching the video was "that looks like a springy kind of fence - one that would give way and then 'spring' back into place" but Cody tells me this is how it was done...

Spoiler
just before the car reaches the fence, a UFO flying directly over the ghost car beams the car up. the UFO then flies over into the field and beams the car back down. all quite obvious really when you think about it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 02:55 AM »
i'd go with that, Darwin. first thing that came into my head after watching the video was "that looks like a springy kind of fence - one that would give way and then 'spring' back into place" but Cody tells me this is how it was done...

clearly  :-*
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 11:24 AM »

Close but, keeping it in the family, have you not heard this term?
Spoiler
Cody rocs

For any who might not recall...
Spoiler
roc: A mythical bird of Eastern legend, imagined as being of enormous size and strength.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 07:47 PM »
You can't really figure out what happens because the cameraman has bad camera skills, so Darwin's idea about no fence at the right, that is a possibility, and being that it was dark, the police might have thought he went through the fence, and so they put the camera where they thought he went.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 09:33 AM »
There's no real cameraman as it's one of those standard police cams mounted directly on the dashboard.  Taken at face value, the video supposedly documents a police chase.  The only things edited out (again, assuming everyone's honest) is the "boring" stuff like catching up to the guy on straightaways.

I vote for a Bond-villianesque remote-controlled fold-down fence.  The guy is obviously a renegade fence contractor and garage-door installer, and so has access to the required skills and spare parts.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 03:30 PM »
well if you look at the part where the "ghost car" disappears into thin air, and then re-appears, look at that point very carefully. Notice before the car appears, there aren't very many white lights, and then when the car does re appear, a bunch of white lights appear with him...
[Insert really cool signature here]