ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA - Save status of all open applications - Hibernate without shutting down

(1/1)

trm2:
Lately I have been experiencing some crashes due to a hardware failure I have yet to pinpoint. When this happens, I have to reboot and start over. This results in not so much losing my work as I am losing the point of where I was and what I was doing.  Thus, I am looking for a program that I can quickly run as a safeguard against this (and not interrupt what I am doing).

Windows Hibernation mode is great for saving the status of all my open applications between sessions.  There are a couple of problems with it though.  First the system shuts down interrupting my work flow and second the hibernation file is only valid between booting up.  If you crash, then you have to do a cold reboot. Very frustrating. 

I saw a program, GoneIn60s at https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6314.new, that is similar to this concept but will not do what I need. I want essentially a program that will allow me to save the status of all my open applications whenever I need without having to shutdown, and restore them (optionally) at bootup- perhaps write the file out and set up a RunOnce registry entry.  To avoid conflict with Windows Hibernation Mode, a dialog box could be presented to verify that the last open status should be restored.  This is in case Hibernation mode was actually used.

Even without the minor crashing problem I am experiencing, I think this would be a great safeguard for anyone.

Until I saw GoneIn60s I didn't think this was possible.  Now I leave it to you guys to see if it is.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

steeladept:
It should be possible for regular shutdowns,  but for crashes (especially hardware error crashes) I am not so sure.  The problem is it is sudden and doesn't give windows time to write files before a crash.  The only way I can think of this maybe working is if you are constantly writing to the RunOnce or to an ini file it runs.  Constantly writing the "state" of windows and all programs.  The only problem I see with this, of course, is that how do you remove lines after they are written?  Perhaps overwrite the ini file every minute or so?  Hmm...maybe this is more doable then my initial thought after all?  Although with my idea, it would not be in real time, it would be more like the Autosave feature in Word.  It would take someone MUCH more skilled than I, but perhaps...

jgpaiva:
This is the kind of thing that can only be handled at the Operating System level, afaik.
Hibernation works by saving the "machine state", that is, the contents of the ram, the processor registers and the swap area. The first 2 of these are only readable and modifiable by the OS, thus making it impossible (probably not impossible, i bet f0dder could prove me wrong) or at least very very hard to make.

trm2:
Actually I think it could be done - I am not talking about a full hibernate mode - I don't need the machine state, registry, etc. - only the state of the open applications.  I see programs available that store the 'desktop state' but they just save the 'placement of the icons'.  To me, the desktop state, is what appliactions are open at the time.  Also I am not talking about something that would happen automatically- no, you would have to run it to 'save' your work at your discretion;  sort of like the function of a word processor that allows you to manually save your file as you work.  Later, if there was a crash or if you used hiberante mode and it failed on restore, with this program, all would not be lost because, if you have saved the 'desktop state', at least you would have the applications that were open and what they were doing before the shutdown or crash (since the last save anyway).

I hope this clarifies my intent.  Please let me know. 

Thanks again.

Trm2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version