ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Versioning of files

<< < (11/12) > >>

f0dder:
A lot of people gripe about VSS, and afaik it isn't even used internally at Microsoft (at least not for the larger parts like the kernel - they have something else for that). I've heard more than one tale about database corruption etc.

In my experience, subversion adds very little overhead in single-developer projects - the initial repository-creation doesn't take long, and after that it's basically just committing your files (in one go) and writing a changelog when you've made enough changes; this is something you should be doing anyway :)

Oh, and you don't need to set up a subversion server, it can operate directly with file:// URLs; I'd still set up svnserve even for single-developer use on a single machine, though, and set up DNS entries - that makes it easier to move the repository to a server later on.

tinjaw:
I'd still set up svnserve even for single-developer use on a single machine, though, and set up DNS entries - that makes it easier to move the repository to a server later on.
-f0dder (October 19, 2007, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure how it would make it any easier (or harder) to move. There is no difference in how you move a repository. svandmin dump/load

nosh:
SVN does seem to be the tool of choice but I've cursorily tried the Tortoise SVN + Visual SVN combo and then VSS and as far as intuitiveness is concerned VSS wins. There are developers who have used it for years without a problem. I don't know if it was Visual SVN mucking up but I had some real issues going back and forth old/new versions in my test runs. VSS did exactly what I wanted/expected it to. It has the rather annoying quirk about discarding all changes if I rollback but there are a couple of workarounds for that. These are just my first impressions which are very possibly faulty. 

nontroppo:
This seemed like a cool SVN version of Leopards Time Machine metaphor (sans glitzy graphics!):

http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-download/time+machine-your-svn-project-with-svntimelapseview-312965.php

f0dder:
I'd still set up svnserve even for single-developer use on a single machine, though, and set up DNS entries - that makes it easier to move the repository to a server later on.
-f0dder (October 19, 2007, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure how it would make it any easier (or harder) to move. There is no difference in how you move a repository. svandmin dump/load
-tinjaw (October 19, 2007, 05:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Simple - after you move the repository (which can either involve dump+load or moving the physical files), you simply update the DNS entry... if you hadn't done this, you'd need to change the repository URL for each of your projects.

nosh: by Visual SVN, do you mean Ankh? Friend of mine has had bad problems with it, and I've had some minor glitches myself - plus it slows down VS startup time humongously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version