ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

BioShock Demo Shock!

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
lanux128: grab a crack and avoid the securom shit... will probably work just fine with the demo. I do that for all the games I purchase, except those from STEAM since they don't tend to have as obnoxious and obtrusive protections schemes.

Ralf Maximus:
lanux128: Grab the latest PE from SysInternals and rock on.  SecurRom can't see the newest version, even when running in the background.

nudone: Rest assured, there are plenty of hardcore FPSers out there who think BioShock is lame.  I've read a lot of reviews citing the repetition and its unfavorable comparison to System Shock.

And unless you're really into retro/steampunky/literature sort of stuff the game's environment won't impress you.  How many Ann Rynd freaks play games, anyway?

But in my case the experience is very nice.  The world is fully realized, the backstory intriguing, the sound and voice talent *spectacular*, and who doesn't love the idea of buying ammo from vending machines?

After playing it for 15+ hours, I've come to think of it more as an interactive novel where I get to blow shit up occasionally.  I want to see how it ends.  I haven't felt that way about a game since HL or Deus Ex.

My only complaint: horsepower requirements.  HOLY MOTHER OF DOG you better have some serious iron to get above single-digit framerates.  The reviews kind of mention this, but in my case I had to crank it down to 800x600 and turn off most of the bling to make it playable.  I think professional reviewers should be forced to use the minimum requirements as per the box; too many of these guys have water-cooled dual SLI machines overclocked to within a few milliseconds of exploding.  The rest of us with two-year-old nVidia cards are kind of hosed.

iphigenie:
I think that is the weakness of bioshock - it builds this very atmospheric place, but then puts a rather standard shooter in it. So the first encounters are great, but before you know it you are just doing the same thing over and over and it rather means that the whole atmosphere ends up wasted.

A slightly more involving gameplay would have made it an absolute perfect game

iphigenie:
System Shock 2 was a perfect game in many ways. I played it again last year and it still managed to grip me.

p3lb0x:
the short amount of time i played the demo at the lowest settings with a horrible framerate i found it quite good, i am looking forward to playing it some day

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version