ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Microsoft providing .NET Framework source code!

<< < (5/6) > >>

Renegade:
@Renegade:See i toldu it is total waste of time using MS technology.Only thing left now is to create more and more software and documentation for linux.Get yourself interested in linux apple or unix.

MS is actually in need of developers badly they are the one who stole from others ideas and then claim for the copyright violation etc.They are getting hands in every technology they copied Flash to create silverlight.now in future they'll claim as adobe violated some rules.In such case adobe will leave the platform obviusly.

I think we should get involved into linux developement,just have to lower the barrier of linux developement.We need tools to make linux developement easier.
-mahesh2k (October 09, 2007, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I bought a new box and put Suse on it. :D

I figure that Novell is putting its wieght behind Mono, so the $50 for Suse is a good buy to support a company like that.

As for Flash vs. Silverlight... Can't agree with you there. Flash is maturing, but it's going to be left in the dust by Silverlight. Adobe doesn't have a tenth of the experience in developing languages like MS does, and MS will crush them. .NET and Mono are the future for development productivity. C, assembler, Fortran, and some others will always have a place in one form or another, but when it comes to productivity... The CLS rocks. Flash is extremely heavy and no real "work" can be done in it. On the other hand, Silverlight and Moonlight have the almost the full power of a real programming language and complete framework behind them. Flash is very different from Silverlight/Moonlight, and the only thing that will keep it going is it's ubiquitousness unless Adobe gives it the real power that you'll see in the near future from truly rich Internet applications done in Silverlight/Moonlight.

As for the barrier to entry for Linux - 110% agreed! Windows and Linux are the Prince and the Pauper. Linux doesn't have the truly rich development tools that are available on Windows.

The thing is that software is becoming commoditized... I won't get into that because it really goes off on a tangent. But it should be fairly obvious that in this environment, productivity means everything. (Well, almost.)

mahesh2k:
@Renegade:Thats' cool that you purchase Suse.I might have chosen Mandriva or Feddora over that but still anyway that is not making diffrence until you're on another type of kernel like debian etc.Do PM me about your OS expereince and what you feel missing in linux.

Note:Well i'm not advocating for opensource or for linux or Hating MS in any way.I'm just advocating for the freedom of coding & feel of use that we've on the platforms other windows.

Developing under windows is just for getting job done.If you're having nack for coding then it is mere waste of time.As in case of windows programmig if you're creating commercial application as an individual you need to have lot of buisness skill its really hard to sell your product among competitors.In each and every piece that is already programmed for windows,you can't reinvent the wheel & get paid or get appreciated or even enjoy for coding that piece.Windows is too crowded for small-application developers now.

The combination of Blend & Visual C# will allow you create flash style visual appliations on PC.You'll able to create graphically rich,smooth & eye candy application,dialog boxes,tooltips for the windows.That is good for MS fans.But bad for unix or linux users,mozzila will find a way to run those silverlight presentation on Firefox but still who wants to invest time on that? Instead you can make other components or applications of opensource better.

There're plenty of options out there for windows programming,but it has less documentation or tutorials in depth like borland cpp builder,wxwidgets,jbuilder etc.On the other hand,If you participated in their beta releases and conference then chances are less that you gain from there.They are using you for there purpose,and in turn what you get chance to test their new technology.What's point in that?MS people can't think beyond there own OS,i don't know why? There term for cross platform is restricted to Windows (All version) & Apple (All version).They are letting developers to handle the issue of cross-platform etc,just tell me why we need to port the MS apps on other platform if MS don't care for that,they are afraid of opensource.I'm really worried about the programmers working on Opensource MONO project.They are wasting their time on making windows .NET portable over other OS.Why? If MS is not interested or is feeling threaten by opensource concept then creating project like MONO will not reduce the barrier between MS & other opensource platforms.

We the developers,designer and user keep the platforms alive.Take simple example if we choose linux hosting server & open source application to run on that server then indirectly keeping that platform alive.Again linux has no cost os for server owner and he's getting scripting packages free of cost.The performance of linux server is again much better than windows so no arguments about that. On the other hand for most of the windows scripting packages you've to pay for that and  the windows server is not good in performance,server owner has to pay for the license amount in upgrading OS.What's the point in that?

On the other hand Apple,BSD and other linux vendors & communities listens to the users & developers. We need OS that listens to the users like we have gathering of developers(e.g.Akademy,gudac) in case of linux where they listen to users unlike giving only demos and answetring queries only like MS.The corporation like apple do give back to the community and picks good ideas from them,they do some interaction with geek people & users.That is what counts,even if apple is expensive to buy but it's worth to keep that innovative platform alive.

We need lot of need for linux developers.If you're working on any existing linux application or want to create something from scratch then,You can get funds(if you asked for it @Ubuntu or GOC) and appreciation for the code you developed.Don't forget your code gets in to the hands of users and develoeprs which in turn find it useful & usable in future versions of app or system,it gives satisfaction.Again there are no licensing issues and threats like in MS.Also even if there may exist simmilar software as urs in linux,other developers appreciate it or even ask you for help in their project or ask you to merge if u want,which is very rewarding expereince.If all these not work with you even then code for open source or atleast under linux.You'll stop monotony of MS which is must as otherwise will create no rooms for developers.

Renegade:
From the source himself regarding that negative article about MS & Mono:

No, it is not a death trap for Mono.
--- End quote ---

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2007/Oct-05-2.html

:)

mouser:
The issue for me is not that i believe MS is setting a trap by making the source code available for inspection.

My concern has always revolved around Microsoft's intentions with regarding to making dot net cross-platform, which is the issue that prevents me from embracing it.

If Microsoft want .net to be cross-platform, why not help create a cross-platform version of dot net?  I have not yet seen a clear statement about their intentions in this direction.

My concern is that MS is doing a little wink-and-a-nod thing by not explicitly coming out against a cross-platform version of dot net (Mono), but working to make it hard enough to get right, and hard enough to keep up to date that it's never going to be a clean and stable thing, so as to retain their monopoly of it.  I don't think that's being paranoid.

Renegade:
Not disagreeing, but I think you'll see MS slowly thawing in this area. (Or at least I'm hopeful...)

MS is in a hard place right now. Their stock has been flat for years. Google is encroaching and their stock is soaring ever higher. MS needs to do something drastic. Well, they could just be surrendering to Google too - that is an option...

Not sure what's going to happen, but as long as Mono gets going, I'm all for it.

You already know C/C++, so C# isn't much of a jump. The learning curve is called "intellisense"! :D (I love that stuff! It's the best teacher in the world.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version