ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Podcast Clients....

(1/3) > >>

Tekzel:
The only thread I was able to find via search was almost 2 years old, so I figured it would be ok to start a new thread on this subject.  Anyone here fans of podcasts?  What do you look for in a client?  I have been searching high and wide for the perfect client.  I found one a long time ago that was close, but it is glacially slow on updates and bug fixes so am "in the market again".

Here are my desired features.

* Freeware or OpenSource.  (I am poor and saddled with debt)
* History, it knows what it downloaded and when it downloaded it, plus gives you the ability to easily re-download something it already did.
* Tag replacement.  Podcasters obviously don't know what tags are, they normally seem to be randomly generated.

Thats all I can think of right now.  I was using Doppler, but like I mentioned, the updates come sloooooow.  Bug fixes too. 

tinjaw:
I know is sucks to see a reply to your post and then find it doesn't answer your question. I'm sorry, but I want to just let you know that you aren't the only one. <version type="short">Years ago I was involved with podcasts.</version> And there were dozens of podcast clients being built every day. Then iTunes started to handle podcasts and all the podcast clients withered on the vine. Actually, I don't think it was all iTunes, but instead, I believe, IMNHO (In My Never Humble Opinion) that people were not tricked by the marketers. By that I mean that marketers invented "Podcasts". Up until then people called them.... wait for it.... "A u d i o   f i l e s"! People would make these "audio files" and put them on a "server" where people would "download" them. Marketers put and end to that and made sure people "subscribed" to "podcasts" that were "attachments". Umm, no. People rebeled, didn't "subscribe" to podcasts with podcast clients, but instead, went to websites, downloaded mp3 files and played them on their computer or portable music player. And when Joe Six-pack and Plain Jane don't buy into the marketing hype, stuff dies. And in this case podcast clients died.

I suggest you use your web browser's ability to subscribe to RSS feeds, subscribe to the podcast, download the mp3 file, put it on your player, and leave it at that. This is what I do after spending a few hours a few weeks ago looking for a good podcast client/player/radio (free or pay) and not finding anything that wasn't abandoned several years ago.

Tekzel:
I suggest you use your web browser's ability to subscribe to RSS feeds, subscribe to the podcast, download the mp3 file, put it on your player, and leave it at that. This is what I do after spending a few hours a few weeks ago looking for a good podcast client/player/radio (free or pay) and not finding anything that wasn't abandoned several years ago.
-tinjaw (October 03, 2007, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Eh. as slow to update and fix as it is, Doppler is infinitely better than just using the browser.  It automates much of the process and since I am lazy, that is good.  Maybe there is yet a golden little app out there that we haven't heard of yet!

Dirhael:
Well, what I use is a wonderful (really) application called Ziepod+. The "+" version is $19.95, but there is also a free version available. The real strength of this program is that it not only lets you download, it will also stream both audio (available in freeware edition) and video (the paid version only) podcasts :) It also contains tagging features, filter settings, playlists, history, ratings, embedded browser and a whole lot more. It's one of the few application I would *never* part with, I just love it to much :-*

Here's a few screenshots that I just took:

tinjaw:
Ziepod sure does looks perdy. I'll check it out. Thanks Dirhael.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version