topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Gothic 3 Community Updater  (Read 11796 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Gothic 3 Community Updater
« on: October 02, 2007, 08:49 PM »
i found this program while trawling the Gothic 3 forums. since it's concept is somewhat like our DCUpdater, i thought that i'd just post a screenshot here. this updater is simple enough even though the interface & the web-site is in German. the program basically lists down all the latest patches & tools in a single screen instead of searching through the forum threads..

Gothic 3 Community Updater
G3-Community-Updater.pngGothic 3 Community Updater

Source: http://forum.jowood....wthread.php?t=146245

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gothic 3 Community Updater
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 06:33 AM »
I like how they grouped things together, maybe this can be used to differentiate between official DC programs and third party apps like codingsnacks, farr plugins etc.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:34 PM »
Looks nice... but why oh why do people insist on releasing applications like this in localized versions? ENGLISH PLEASE! >_<
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 01:43 AM »
Looks nice... but why oh why do people insist on releasing applications like this in localized versions? ENGLISH PLEASE! >_<

That's an interesting perspective from someone who's native language isn't English. I'd expect that from an ethnocentric American, but I never thought I'd hear that from a foreigner. :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 12:35 PM »
Here in South America live a lot of Germans (as you may or may not know). Since this a mainly Spanish and Portuguese speaking continent most software is available in those languages.

Lately you can get here internet through the GSM network. A lot of laptops use a 3G modem to get access to this type of internet. The problem is that a lot of Germans use a German version of windows and the software to get those modems running are intended for the Spanish/Portuguese versions of windows.

I can tell you from personal experience that it is a b*tch to setup those modems on anything different than Spanish/Portuguese versions of windows? Of course it doesn't help that those modems that are used here are made in China, from brands I never heard of and that most information about those modems is written in Chinese only.

Starting with this trend here, I have become totally fed up with localization issues that Microsoft, their "localized"versions of windows and inept programmers throw my way.

However, there are tricks to use with the good old (read: tried & tested) dialup software included in every localized version of windows with which you can get ineptly programmed modems to do as you please.

Gothic is also an excellent example of an ineptly programmed piece of shitware. Not only shows it its German heritage on any localized version of windows, it is very unstable (on a 2.2 GHz dual core, 2GB RAM and 512MB Nvidia 8800GT) and it 'clips' like hell on 1280x1024. Also it takes a lot more resources than for instance Oblivion, a similar type of game that runs smoothly on the same setup.

A son of a friend of mine here is totally into Gothic and downloads/installs everything he sees about that game. That kid manages each time to totally violate his (US English) windows because something from the JoWood studio requires German localized windows libraries.

Guess who always has to clean up the mess the kid and JoWood make?
There is a thread here on DC about quotes and there I read an excellent one that totally captivates my feeling about this mess: "I have never killed a man, but I read many obituaries with great pleasure."

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 08:29 PM »
That's an interesting perspective from someone who's native language isn't English. I'd expect that from an ethnocentric American, but I never thought I'd hear that from a foreigner. :Thmbsup:
Frankly, I feel that releasing anything that has more than niche appeal without an English version is pretty arrogant. English might not be the largest native language (Chinese, Spanish etc.), but I wager that it's the most commonly known language.

Supplying localized versions is just fine (although I can't stand it - and I hate software that selects language depending on my windows locale and has no manual override, yuck), but providing only a non-english version? Arrogant.

(And yeah, I do realize that I may come off as arrogant with these remarks, but eat my shorts :))
- carpe noctem