topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 11:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: suggestion: web path changes  (Read 6785 times)

owenduffy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
suggestion: web path changes
« on: February 28, 2008, 03:27 AM »
Mouser,

We all dread needing to change the web site that hosts our update and support pages for an application.

I suggest that it would be useful if the dcupdate.xml file included in a standard way, a url for the support directory.

eg:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>
<Program_Version>0.0.2</Program_Version>
<Program_Release_Day>0</Program_Release_Day>
<Program_Release_Month>0</Program_Release_Month>
<Program_Release_Year>0</Program_Release_Year>
<VersionFileRemote>http://www.mysite.net/myapp/dcupdate.xml</VersionFileRemote>
... etc
</root>

Further, that when dcUpdater reads the file and finds the 'new' entities, that it updates the application's .dcupdate file for the new url for all such entities that do not match so that dcUpdater can automatically adjust to the new site. This would be most effective if dcUpdater was launched automatically on each boot, or periodically so the new site was likely to be captured before the old site shuts down.

Do you understand what I mean?

Owen

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: suggestion: web path changes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:01 AM »
can you elaborate a little more on the idea, i'm not 100% sure i follow.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 06:38 AM »
If I understand what you mean is a permanent redirect in one removeversion.xml to another on a different url, for when you change hosts.
What you can do is point to an asp/php page in the .dcupdate that redirects transparently to the xml file, in a stable location like a dcmember page. Then you'd just have to change the redirect in the future. I guess you could host the xml file there too and avoid the work :P

Maybe an alternative implementation mouser could add a mirror system so that if the first url is unavailable a mirror can be used, this would then work with redirects as well. The problem is of course that the redirect is in the same spot as the version info, meaning if it's unavailable you cannot redirect anymore. And releasing a software update to update the dcupdate file is a bit pointless. hmm
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:47 AM by justice »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:54 AM »
mirrors is a good idea.. and perhaps some kind of central repository where mirrors can be posted after the fact.. ie a central dcupdater home where if someones server goes offline, an admin could post a trusted mirror for the server that went down.

or put another way, if we assumed that EVERY update file has a mirror on the dcupdater server if the main authors server goes down.