topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nerdarts.com - When nerds become cool, do jocks become nerds?  (Read 9230 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Nice blog/website suggested by one of the members on our forum (pacman3030).  I love the sentiments and focus on individuals not companies.

As Douglas Rushkoff points out in his latest lecture “Why johnny Can’t Program” if these nerds posed any threat to the status quo, then they would never let them free.

This is one reason that here at Nerdarts.com I have always strove to highlight the individual, rather than the company. I’m more interested in a guy who made a garden which you can control via a robotic arm through the internet than a new game for the Wii (even though I think it’s a great console:). Nintendo is going to be ok without an extra shout out from my little blog. As nerdcore soaks farther and farther into mainstream culture, us early adopters and visionaries have to make sure that we highlight the culture and not the company, highlight insight and reflection of our own personal stories instead of doing the bidding of major corporations who want that extra free link to make their product go viral. It’s only a matter of time before we see space invader motifs on sweaters at Abercrombie and Fitch, and just as studded belts and punk has now become safe enough for christian fundies to use to promote Christ, Nerdcore will be used to sell seemingly iniquous products to make the same people rich. The beast has been unleashed and its only a matter of time before the popular girl from the rich suburbs starts talking about how she was a “total nerd”.

Let’s tell our own stories, and if those personal stories involve Atari Games and Dungeons and Dragons dice then they are ours to use! They are as much a part of us as the air we have breathed throughout the years. These corporation have rammed advertising down our throats for years, and then they are going to sue people for using imagery, or songs which they collectively tried to get us to remember? Fuck em. Fair Use has a Posse. Nerdcore is Dead - Long Live Nerdcore! From this point on I will never again publicize a company, or a movie, only individual artists who are reinterpreting the world around them and telling their own stories. If those stories involve nintendo games or star wars characters then these artists have the right to use these images.

Dr-Leech

• Joined in 2006
  • Psychedelic Coder
    • View Profile
    • site
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nerdarts.com - When nerds become cool, do jocks become nerds?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:53 PM »
Nice found, I like nerdy stuff.. :P

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:42 PM »
The article is interesting, but bothers me on some levels.

One of the things in which I took solace during my long, nerdy school years was that no matter how excluded I was from other social groups, the geeks/nerds/science freaks always accepted me.  In fact, our little clique embraced the other outcasts -- we were a motley bunch.

Is it just me, or is the tone of the article somewhat exclusionary?  It seems to reinforce that queasy us-vs.-them mentality I was so happy to escape.

Or maybe I'm spending too much time in my secret lair working on my army of killer robots?

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:33 AM »
Us nerds are the rulers of tomorrow: we are the only ones to control the technology that we created. And since we are goodhearted people humanity has not to fear us :D

I am a very proud nerd myself: http://nrrd.de/