ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Question: Does the GPL allow program redistribution?

(1/5) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Hi all!

Here with a question, its kinda strange, but I can't understand half of what I am reading about it, so here goes.

I am trying to use a GPL program (ClamAV - ClamWin specifically) and install it with another program (without using the "official" installer, BUT also without modifying any of the program's files).

I have skimmed the GNU General Public License before, and seen a few of the update/amends to it, but half of it just makes my eyes spin.

So basically all I need to know is, Yes/No can I include the full (unedited) version of ClamWin within another program, without breaking the license?

I would assume so, as it is open source, but I want to make sure first.

Thanks in advance!
-Brandon

mouser:
don't take just my answer but i believe you can as long as you include the license file that accompanies the program when you do.

lanux128:
another way is to drop a mail to the devs of ClamAV, letting them know that you intend to re-distribute their program bundled with others.. a confirmation from them would definitely be easier to understand than the legalese..

Jibz:
Let me give you a quote from an answer I got from the FSF licensing department after asking a similar question:

> I was unable to find any information about this subject on your page,
> so I am hoping you can help clear up what the rules are.
>
> The question is: Is it legal to distribute files covered by the GPL in
> a self-extracting archive or installer, if the stub is not GPL'ed?

No.-GPL Compliance Engineer
--- End quote ---

Short and to the point.

wreckedcarzz:
OK, I am still unsure so I just sent an email to them to see what their take is on it. I'm not getting my hopes up, though :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version