ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: BlowUp or Read?

<< < (3/8) > >>

kc0nvi:
Found something called SAYPAD.

It is Freeware!!!

http://inspiredcode.net/4VisImp.htm

kc0nvi:
How about this... I sure hope ethis helps others as well?

http://www.dirfile.com/easyread.htm

mouser:
saypad just speaks text files - not what you are wanting and not particularly useful.

what would be nice is, if the $600 one is clearly the best after you do more research,
to hear a report from you after trying the demo for a while,
of the most important features.
like a priority list of what subset of features would still make a great app, in case someone wants to work on this but not try to fully compete with the full feature set of zoomtext.

it absolutely blows my mind that all of these great site-impaired software are so expensive - it shows everything that bothers me about this culture of trying to charge the most money you can get away with, even when it would cost you NOTHING to give this software to people who would really benefit from it.

i hope you keep looking and find some good freeware - surely some programmer has a mother or father who has vision problems and wrote a good program for this!

Carol Haynes:
it absolutely blows my mind that all of these great site-impaired software are so expensive - it shows everything that bothers me about this culture of trying to charge the most money you can get away with, even when it would cost you NOTHING to give this software to people who would really benefit from it.
--- End quote ---

Whilst I think the pricing for this is pretty disgusting a company producing software (and high quality software) for a particular market cannot really be expected to give it away to that market.

I suppose it really depends who is producing this and why - if it is a company that pays programmers to produce applications to their spec you can appreciate that they are unlikely to get professionals cheaply. On the other hand they are limiting themselves somewhat if they only go for high cost programmers when there are huge numbers who would donate some time to a project for this sort of purpose.

The answer probably lies, like most market place answers, in competition. If someone produces a competing application for much less they will be forced to charge less.

As a genuine question how big a market exists for sight impaired users -  I presume it must be fairly large ??

kc0nvi:
You are correct, it is a real shame. Although Easyreader doesn't speak it does magnify the entire screen (browser) but I think it is totally IE dependant which limits its usefulness. I use Firefox and am going to see if there is anything out there that is universal in this area.

My Mom has a 19" monitor and I know it's hard to visualize, but she still has trouble seeing this. If someone with sight were to take and wrap sellofane around their hear over their eyes at least twice perhaps more, they would begin to see what this has done to a person who once had 20/20 vision.

I lost my sight in my right eye as a result of an explosion at work from a tire, but that was one eye, not both (thankfully). Whatever I can do to help not only my Mom, but perhaps another's Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, etc... to function in a world where it doesn't matter the color of your skin, or the disability you have, but rather by what you express in writing on the internet.

That is what makes the internet so great, you are judged only by your words, nothing more. If I had not said anything about my eyesight, no one would have ever known. To make a difference in others lives like this is just one area that I push hard for and even if I am selling an application, I always have an option for free, perhaps I can not prove it as fact, but I like to think that there are still some out there that tell the truth, and I have found that it is usually about 1 out of every 8.

I'll keep searching and posting, perhaps it will inspire others as well.

Thanks,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version