ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: BlowUp or Read?

(1/8) > >>

kc0nvi:
This idea will benefit many that have been effected by retinal degeneration (my mother being one of the victims here).
The idea I have had for this application may not be a one-day item, but well worth it to many, if it can be done.

For those affected by this disease, it has taken there vision, and as of now there is no cure. I have attached an image of what it might appear like to someone affected. The blurred area, is actually the faces/heads of the victim's Grandchildren. As you can see the sides seem to be somewhat visible, however, if it is computer text, it is impossible to read.

What would be nice is an app that would allow the user, not to hi-lite the text, but to simply place the mouse on the line, then prompt to read aloud or to make bigger and easier to view. If it were to require a sighted person to set it up then that is fine as well, the more options the better, then it would be a matter of a sighted person sitting with them, and configuring it for the user to their needs, be it color or black and white, to let them have a degree of independence still.

I know it's a tall order there, and I attempted to break it down the best I could, if more information is needed please ask.

Thanks for trying...  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
i know there are some good tools for people with eyesite problems, regarding speaking text and magnifying text.  and i know we actually have at least one person on this forum who knows about such tools.

certainly i think the easiest project would be a program that let you put up a large box on screen wherever you want, which showed the magnified contests of whatever is under the cursor - but i'm sure there must be 100 of these apps already available.

maybe you have something different in mind?  actually reading the text under the cursor aloud is more interesting and i'm not sure what the current state of the art for this is or what kind of shareware exists for it.

i'd be very interested in hearing more ideas for programs that would help those who having hearing/site problems use computers more efficiently.

mouser:
maybe it would be nice to have the magnified window of user-defined size follow the cursor around, at some user configured distance away from it - do such programs already exist?

kc0nvi:
I'm checking on it now actually. If they do, I'm afriad they are not freeware, thereby limiting it those that will pay. As in my Mother's case, shse is on a fixed income, and although it might not sound like a lot to those who get a paycheck on a regular basis, but $2 may as well be the same asa saying, I guess I won't get my prescriptions to help with this so I can get this.

What makes it even worse, as in the case with my Mother, my Father (God Rest his Sole), who recently passed away, that second income (all be it fixed as well) stopped, leaving my Mom with only that of her own. The world all of a sudden got much colder, and the first thing that is given up is usually either food or prescriptions.

Thereby, I am ALL FOR FREEWARE ... I'll re-post as soon as I learn more on the topic. I know they have lots of freeware for DOS, but then the PC is really not as useful to them as it could be.

Thanks

mouser:
yes of course - when i say a program already exists and might not be worth duplicating, i mean freeware.
if a program only exists as shareware, then no matter how good it is, it is worth doing a freeware/donationware version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version