topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: StyleSpread - 81% Discount (03oct07) - Worth Purchasing?  (Read 6086 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
StyleSpread - 81% Discount (03oct07) - Worth Purchasing?
« on: October 01, 2007, 10:13 AM »
 :feedback: Bits du Jour is having StyleSread on sale October 3. It is $20 instead of $100. I am wondering if anybody has used it, and if so, how it compares to others. The video tour makes it look worth purchasing.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: StyleSpread - 81% Discount (03oct07) - Worth Purchasing?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 10:38 AM »
You need to know how to code, in order to use this program. The tutorial inside the program, StyleSpread Quickstart, is very fine and it is easy to make the first simple page, following the instructions, even though I have never in my life tried to do something like this before. But the problem to me was the minute I left the quickstart and was to create the first page of my own, then I really didn't know what to type. So I removed the program. If you are familiar with css coding, then this is really a fine program, I would say, but different. Absolutely different. It is so different that they begin the quickstart with these words:

Thank you for choosing StyleSpread!

This software works differently from other CSS editing programs. Regardless of your CSS experience level, if you've never used StyleSpread before, don't skip the quick start! It is essential to understand the basic work flow of the software. It should only take 5 minutes.

Quickstart page 1:
SCS_Tutorial.gifStyleSpread - 81% Discount (03oct07) - Worth Purchasing?

If you are familiar with this simple css coding -
I would say it certainly must be worth the twenty dollar bill.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:12 PM »
I would never every even consider paying for a CSS editor that doesn't allow you to enter code manually. The "wizard" style of creating stylesheets that they are using is fine and all that, but hardly something you don't see in just about every other CSS/HTML editor out there. The advantage of these other ones? They give you the choice to do things manually once you start understanding how the language works, for less money...and trust me when I say that this is required when creating cross-browser compatible stylesheets.

I wouldn't buy this, even at $20...but of course, I'm just judging from the video overview on their website.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:48 PM »
I downloaded it and played with it. I must say that I am quite impressed. I am definitely going to purchase the program. I would also suggest that if you are thinking about learning CSS some day, that you grab this program. You can use it to WYSIWYG up your CSS and then look at what it generates.

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:39 PM »
I just know a very little CSS, so I while I like the immediate feedback the program gives (if you know what you're doing), it didn't help me with adjusting a Joomla site (where the style sheets are nested and seemingly very indirect...).

So, does anyone have a good alternative suggestion? I'd prefer free because I don't know CSS, and I am currently a student in China, but would pay if it really does help me get something working correctly. I've downloaded a couple trial programs yesterday, but haven't had time to also test them

One thing I didn't like was that when attaching to a web site, it would report errors "on line #70, for example. It has no way to actually open up the source and "view" line 70... It DOES "mark" invalid sections in the structured window pane. but that doesn't tell me what it was trying to do :(

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:23 PM »
It is not a program, but if you are trying to learn, I am a BIG advocate of HTMLDog.  They go into detail on both (X)HTML and CSS and make it easy enough for anyone to learn and use.  It is also very well laid out, and is a free tutorial/resource for anyone who goes to the site.   

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 10:11 AM »
I just purchased StyleSpread using the Bits du Jour discount, and I opted for the optional lifetime upgrades for $19.95. Total bill was $39.94 USD. I'm a happy camper.  :Thmbsup: