ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

IE is working, Firefox is not. Why?

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
I don't know what's happening, but all of a sudden, my firefox stopped working ("server not found" message for all addresses).  However, IE still works.  I don't know exactly what's changed on my computer, but it's been left on for a few days and here's what I think I've done during that time:
--I installed Netlimiter.
--I used utorrent to download some large files, and when I did, it seemed like I couldn't use the internet because it was overloaded or something.
--I think Firefox got updated (minor updates) a couple of times.

So I don't know what's happening.  Netlimiter has a firewall that I've turned off.  Also, I use Kaspersky IS with the firewall turned off.  I have a linksys cable modem and linksys wifi router.  Utorrent still works even though firefox doesn't.  Also, my I can't send any pop3 email anymore.

My Windows network connections shows my IP address to be the 192... address assigned by my router and when I click on details, none of the IP's are the actual outside IP (which should be 76...).  I have DHCP enabled (although I don't exactly know what it means).

I guess I'm just not understanding why IE and torrent is working, but nothing else is including email and Firefox.  And I haven't really changed anything.  Anyway, thanks for any advice.

sri:
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings

Make sure direct connection to the internet (the top one) is selected and not the proxy option.

superboyac:
It has always been on direct connection.  So I don't know why it stopped working suddenly.

Here's what I think the problem is.  Before, when I go into the Windows Network Connections and click on the details, I get a bunch of IP numbers listed there.  Usually, one of them would be the WAN number from outside (76.xxx.xxx.xxx), but now they are all showing 192.168.1.10, which is the LAN number than my router gives the computer.  Somehow, firefox and some other programs like my email are not seeing the outside WAN number anymore, but IE is and so is the torrent program.

f0dder:
Hm, it sounds like you went from a direct connection (which is bad) to a NAT'ed connection (which is good) - this by itself should cause any problems (except if you have services running that you need to access from the outside, you'll need to set up port forwarding then).

No proxy settings for firefox? No malware that has messed with NDIS? Can you access your router configuration? (probably http://192.168.1.1 , but ymmv).

superboyac:
Yes, I can access my linksys router configuration, but I don't know what to change.  But I still don't get why it would all of a sudden change like this, and why IE still works, torrent works, but email doesn't work (the bat), firefox doesn't work.  I have some port forwarding set up already for some applications, but I never needed it for email and firefox, but maybe I'll set it up for that also.  However, I don't know how to setup a port forwarding for firefox (can you help) and same for the Bat.  What ports do I use, etc.?

Here's a screenshot of my settings:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version