topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Advice PLS: New drive in my laptop and FirstDefense-ISR trial edition  (Read 5511 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My 80GB drive in my laptop has been completely filled up. I have also been wanting to create separate environments for programming, game playing, etc. Additionally I have been watching the threads on FirstDefence ISR and the discount and thinking about giving it a try.

So this morning I purchased a new 250GB drive for my laptop, swaped out the 80GB drive, put the 80GB drive in an external enclosure, installed a fresh copy of WinXP Pro w/ SP2 on the new drive and immediately installed the trial version of FirstDefense-ISR and made a Primary and Secondary snapshot using the Getting Started wizard.

Now I ponder the possibilities and look to the DC community to help me decide how to proceed. I few random thoughts I have at this point.:
  • How well does FD-ISR get along with Acronis True Image (Home v. 9) and how best to set them up to work together properly?
  • I also like to use VMWare virtual machines for various reasons. How well does FD-ISR work with virtual machines.
  • Does FD-ISR play well with disk defragmenters and disk repartitioners?[\li]
I am now off to read the user manual for FD-ISR.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 02:41 PM by tinjaw »

JaneDC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Advice PLS: New drive in my laptop and FirstDefense-ISR trial edition
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 04:06 PM »
you may want to post over at wilders/read threads. most of the points you asked have been mentioned and discussed there in more detail. many a times actually. those are common questions by fdisr users. rough answers

ati and fdisr - works well. no probs.

vm and fdisr - no probs

disk defrag - you need to exclude $isrbin file. or you can use raxcos defragmenter which does this automatically

good luck

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 04:09 PM by JaneDC »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 09:50 PM »
Excellent advice JaneDC! I completely forgot about Wilders Security Forums. Thank you.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Does FD-ISR play well with disk defragmenters and disk repartitioners?

Jane is right that excluding the $isrbin file is recommended when running a defragmenter.  If you don't the program may not be able to find it properly on the next boot.  If it can't find it, you won't get the preboot isr screen, and won't be able to change snapshots.  Fortunately, once the computer boots once, it will relocate the irsbin file and it won't be an issue after that.

Carl