topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features  (Read 77980 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features
« on: September 29, 2007, 12:22 PM »
The new EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 is available for testing since september 17.

I’m using it right now. It’s got some nice new features…

Dear EverNoters!

It is our pleasure to announce the release of EverNote 2.2 Beta. New features include:
•   Opening and editing notes in separate windows ("out-of-tape notes")
•   Merging multiple notes
•   Google Desktop Search in EverNote databases
•   Enhanced support for international text input, including Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, and others
•   Customizable note views
•   On-screen drawing and shape recognition in Universal Clipper
•   Improved keyboard tape navigation

Many more fixes and improvements are listed on the Release Notes page http://www.evernote....ote/releasenotes.php.
Direct download page is http://www.evernote....?file=EverNote22Beta.

- The EverNote Team
http://forum.evernot....php?f=10&t=4782

….and some fixes.

My favorite new feature is probably to finally be able to open several resizable windows for different notes. Very convenient — I’ve been waiting for that one. I might be starting to use EverNote a bit more again. I also like the multiple notes merging feature and enjoy certain bug fix (e.g. : the universal clipper is now behaving properly : before, some web clipped images didn’t show when going through the universal clipper + the fonts didn’t have the proper size  — now everything works well!).  I don't care too much about the Google desktop search thing as I use Archivarius, but it’s a step in the right direction.  Etc.

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • BECOMING A WRITER SERIOUSLY
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 07:55 AM »
Never heard of Archivarius before, so I found it via Google.  Looks like a particularly powerful desktop search program.  Armando, why did you choose it over other programs?  This might be worth a separate thread.

Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 10:48 AM »
Hi Tom,

Nice to see you here!

There are actually some threads here about Archivarius and I believe there are many  DCers who use Archivarius. Some threads and comments :

Archivarius

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

I usually use X1 a lot but will use Archivarius to complement it; 1- double check on X1 searches, and  2- recourse when X1 chokes on a +350p. document. Archivarius is light and reliable, indexes very well (indexes MS word and pdf “comments”, which is important to me), but is certainly not as sexy as X1 and others… and misses a few  features I’d like too see (according to the developer or support person, these features will be implemented “soon”). Oh yes : support is good — they answered my emails very quickly (Darwin had the same experience).

Voilà!

PS : and Archivarius indexes EverNote's databases...  X1 doesn't really. :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 02:48 AM »
Amando,
would you install that as a seperate Evernote install?
Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Hi Tomos,

Actually, no... I live dangerously : I backed up my database and replaced the other version (must say that I checked the forum for any cry for help, complaints about corrupted database and saw... nothing). So far : no problems whatsoever. :)

Have fun!

PS : my database is small : I don't keep as many things as I used to in there anymore.

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:07 PM »
thanks for the info.
Evernote seems to be a really good program  :Thmbsup:
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 04:17 PM »
I thought about trying the beta but isn't the beta only the freeware version? I have the pro version so I can sycn with my USB drive. I don't want to get into a situation where I'm actually losing features by trying the beta.

How do they handle upgrades once it gets out of beta? I bought through Handango. Do they send everyone a new download link? (I guess I should be asking this over on their forums  :-[)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:40 PM »
(I guess I should be asking this over on their forums  embarassed)

Perhaps, but if you find out a post here would be good  ;)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 12:29 AM »
I thought about trying the beta but isn't the beta only the freeware version? I have the pro version so I can sycn with my USB drive. I don't want to get into a situation where I'm actually losing features by trying the beta.

"Technically" (as Leo from the EverNote forum said), the beta is actually more like the paid version... But for free (trial). For non-paying customer, the beta version will probably expire after a while.

Of course, betas are always a bit more risky (although I've not experienced any thing bad with Evernote). You can't install 2.1 and 2.2 side by side. You should test it first (Image your drive, backup you database...) if your database is important to you.

How do they handle upgrades once it gets out of beta? I bought through Handango. Do they send everyone a new download link? (I guess I should be asking this over on their forums  :-[)

When you'll select help—>check for update, normally it will download the latest version. If you paid (and then probably have something written in your windows registry), it should update to the EverNote Plus 2.2 version. If not, just complain at their forum (I will if something like that happens)... They're pretty receptive (not like the gemX folks... ;))

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 01:56 PM »
I've been playing with Evernote for a few months; very good as a place to store misc clippings and notes, though not great for to-do lists (at least not for me, at least not yet.) The beta is working very nicely (I also installed it to replace the pro release version).

I too really appreciate the ability to open notes in separate windows, and merging notes is nice too. Under Windows 2000 there are some small interface glitches, but nothing that would compromise data integrity, and I assume these will be fixed soon.

L.

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 11:45 PM »
Hello All! I wanted to explain about EverNote 2.2 Beta (which is quickly moving towards public release) and upgrades. The Beta is a full-featured version with all advanced features in place. Advanced features expire in four months since your installation, which should be a plenty for anyone who wants to upgrade to the paid version. We are planning to offer free upgrade to the full version to all Beta users (I can't promise it 100% though). Backing up your databases before trying the Beta is always a good idea.

We would also like to point out that the comparative "feature matrix" of Big3 note-taking apps at https://www.donation...oteTakers1/index.php isn't accurate anymore since EverNote 1.5, let alone 2.2. The roundup greatly influenced our product roadmap and many of the "missing" EverNote features have been implemented. Examples are "have multiple databases open", "link to other notes", "extensive import/export capabilities", "note titles".

L. (a.k.a. "leo" on the EverNote User Forum)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 11:47 PM »
Thanks L, i have to update another one of the reviews and i'll add a note about this as well.
Congrats on the evernote work  :up:

ps.
If you haven't seen the japanese movie/animated series called DeathNote, it's quite outstanding, and one of the lead characters is named "L".

L.

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 12:44 AM »
Thanks mouser! We meant to ask you guys to update the chart as we worked so hard on the missing features.

L. (see, I am "L." - the dot should make a lot of difference  :D )

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 09:45 AM »
Thanks L. (Leo).
You're right : the chart should be updated.
It's the hard thing about reviewing software made by good and active developers: they continuously change!
The 2.2 beta is GREAT. I use it everyday and, like I said, the "out of tape windows" make a big difference in usability.

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 05:19 PM »
It went final 2.2....
Anyone try to upgrade yet?

Update...This answers everything
http://forum.evernot....php?f=10&t=5038

"We will be offering an auto-upgrade to current users within the next couple days. Users of EverNote Plus 2.x will receive free upgrade to full version EverNote 2.2 with permanently enabled advanced features; users of versions 1.1, 1.5 and free versions 2.x will be able to upgrade to free version 2.x or purchase EverNote 2.2 with a significant discount."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:25 PM by tinyvillager »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 05:42 PM »
I'm reluctant to try try the Trial version of 2.2 as an upgrade - last time I did that it trashed my registered version and I had to reinstall. Probably best to wait until the official updater is available.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 04:52 AM »
Now available - just hit check for update in the help menu.

For anyone who wants to buy Evernote 2.2:

Users of the free version of EverNote can buy EverNote until November 30th, 2007 for only $19.95, a 60% discount!

Buy EverNote for only $19.95.

You can also follow this link to download the free version of EverNote 2.2, which includes all advanced features for 60 days. After 60 days, advanced features will become disabled, but can be re-enabled by purchasing the product.

Not sure if you need to download the free version first and register it or if this is open to all.

There is also a similar discount in the Member Discount section - it says it is for 2.1 and an open ended discount. I don't know for sure if it applies to 2.2 but I presume so. [Edit - DC discounts no longer seems to work it links to a page with a price of $49.95]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 05:08 AM by Carol Haynes »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 07:45 AM »
I've been using the beta and really like the new features. Upgraded to the full release yesterday without any problems  :Thmbsup:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 11:40 AM »
Ditto. Or almost... I got an error trying to upgrade directly from the beta.

My solution for registered users with problems trying to upgrade from the beta to the 2.2 final version:

1- backup your database (just in case), 2- uninstall the beta, 3- reinstall your previous registered version , 4- and upgrade by going to the help menu --> check for update.

Everything works well now.  :up:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 05:09 PM »
Phew! I'm glad I dodged that bullet - I rarely remember to backup my database (although as luck would have it I didn do so about a week ago, so all would not have been lost). Anyway, Armando's advice about backing up your database before updating is excellent and should be followed when updating any software that holds, manages, or manipulates crucial data (note to self: take this advice in the future!).

:Thmbsup:

EDIT: typos will be the death of smeagol
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 06:47 PM by Darwin »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 06:42 PM »
Actually I don't think the file format has changed from 2.1 to 2.2 - I updated to the beta, then downgraded back to version 2.1 and then upgraded again to 2.2 and it didn't affect my database!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 10:27 PM »
I think you're right, carol : as you said, the database can be accessed and edited regardless of EverNote's version : 2.1 or 2.2.
I actually did exactly what you did. My suggestion to backup the database was just an extra security measure.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 10:31 PM »
maybe it was a possible new 'feature' that didnt appear  ;D

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I think you're right, carol : as you said, the database can be accessed and edited regardless of EverNote's version : 2.1 or 2.2.
Actually, it turns out this isn't entirely true. With the new version, all the old templates are now broken. I have a lot of data in tables and now I can't access them. You would think that something as simple as table support would be added to the program but we have to rely on templates. Now the templates are broken. As you can probably glean from above, I am not happy at all.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 02:39 PM »
Actually, it turns out this isn't entirely true. With the new version, all the old templates are now broken. I have a lot of data in tables and now I can't access them. You would think that something as simple as table support would be added to the program but we have to rely on templates. Now the templates are broken. As you can probably glean from above, I am not happy at all.

Yes, I've seen that in their forum. I didn't notice myself because I don't really use the templates. I hope they fix it real soon. It's a serious issue!!! :(