ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features

<< < (13/20) > >>

superboyac:
I'm sure it is very powerful. It certainly looks as if it should be very powerful. But I just haven't been able to 'get it' so far, though I don't mind trying again every now and then.
-Dormouse (March 21, 2008, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Dormouse, I was in exactly the same postion you are in right now when i started that SQLNotes thread.  I know it may be hard to believe now because I'm such a gung-ho SQLNotes fanboy, but I was very skeptical when I tried SQLNotes the first time.  Before I even started that thread, I installed and uninstalled the program quickly at least 2 times, because I thought it was so strange.  I thought, "this is something specifically designed for the ECCO cult, which i am not familiar with at all.  This is useless for people who just want a notetaker."  I was using Evernote for my notes (which is still great).
To be really honest, in my mind, I thought SQLNotes was similar to TaoNotes, which in my opinion, is one of the strangest and poorly designed notetakers out there.  So, basically, I didn't think much of SQLNotes initially.
But I was wrong.  Really wrong.  SQLNotes is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  When it's complete, it will combine the function of so many software I use, including Evernote, Calendarscope, access, mybase, texnotes in a really cool way.

I'm writing all of this not to promote the product, but for your own good.  I really feel if you just put in the effort to "get" sqlnotes, you will be blown away with what you can do with it.

J-Mac:
I had exactly the same reaction Dormouse ... SQLNotes simply baffles me and I have tried it 3 or 4 times and ended up deleting it again. I also suspect it is going to cost big time when completed!
-Carol Haynes (March 21, 2008, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Make that three of us, at least.

I must not be "geeky" enough!  When I last tried it the documentation wasn't quite what I need to get going with something like this. (Sorry Pierre - I just couldn't "get it"   :( )

I need something where the developer has taken care of the program stuff and added a UI that is more or less self-explanatory.

Jim

J-Mac:
Putting it another way - I usually have no problem when someone explains something to me the first time. I really do catch on quick (regardless of what my wife says!!)

But I haven't yet heard anything from anyone using SQL Notes that has clarified anything for me. Anytime someone asks me to give it another try, they just point me toward the beta site and tell me it is really easy once you get started. I just can't seem to get to that "Aha!" moment that I usually do with most applications. I haven't said much because I figured it was only me who didn't "get it".

When you are on a forum filled with coders you can start to feel really..... "duh"=like!

Jim

PPLandry:
But I haven't yet heard anything from anyone using SQL Notes that has clarified anything for me.-J-Mac (March 21, 2008, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, how about these metaphors:

* A very large Excel sheet where you can control which rows and columns are displayed. Multiple views of the same sheet. Making a change in one updates all others

* A standard 2-pane outliner where the 1st pane (outline) is dynamically generated, not a static outline

* Wikipad with wiki links in both the wiki content and in the wikiOutline

* A database where you can add fields as easily as records or "Easy MSAccess" as superboyac once said

* All this data is visible (live) by ODBC enabled applications (Word, Excel, Access)

* Can pull data from on-line database for local browsing. If Mouser created a read-only account on DC MySQL server, you could have a local copy of whole DC content... 1 click refresh... wouldn't that be nice?

* And the list goes on and on
I hope this helps. The free phone call would certainly help too. Anytime...

tomos:
for me I could straight away see the possibilities in the sense of it being a database -
now I've never used database software, barely use office software (excel etc) so it's been, eh, interesting ;) figuring out SQLNotes!

First example,
I use it to gather song lyrics - in the simplest manner:-
Item=Title;     Notes pane=Lyrics.
The beauty of it is that this info can be expanded at any time - who has sang this, if there's different versions, anything and then I can get into Pierre's "Cube" view by filtering to see what I want. That does take a bit of learning ..I've only learned the very basics but it's keeping me going

I'm now using it successfully for
timekeeping for work and keeping track of files I'm working on -
I just drag a file in and it creates an "item" which is a link to that file - or I drag in 100 files, no problem.
I can keep track of what "stage" they are at and relevant details of when changed etc, whether approved etc. using columns/(fields)
This is all one could say reasonably automated -
I click here - date goes in automatically there - colour of item changes so I can tell at a glance what has been done, what need to be done and where. More details on that here

From a hierarchical point of view, everything can have more than one parent (comparable to cloning and/or tagging) -
Another Example:-

I'm working on 50 drawing files whose "Grandparent" is USA
They have various parents depending on which State they are related to e.g. Maine, Virginia, etc

I'm preparing an invoice for work done on 20 of these files
so I copy these 20 files/items into my Invoice item
I can then sort everything e.g. first by State (original/other parent), second by item (alphabetically) or by date or whatever

I can then export as a webpage (html with expandable links showing or hiding notes related to the items) and send this along with the invoice to give very details info about work done and current progress/situation of the individual drawings~~~~~~~~~

As Pierre says,
the whole programme is gradually being made more user friendly and the wiki is getting more pages regulalry
It is a beta - I think there does need to be a lot of work done on getting the practical concepts across of how to structure the info within a "Grid"/view, also on how to filter/show the info and how that is then shown depending on which viewing preferences are chosen.
If you dont understand that last bit it's because it's really a message to Pierre  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version