ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features

<< < (11/20) > >>

iphigenie:
The advantage for the developer of such a system are quite clear

* you know exactly how many users you have, on how many machines
* you can have avertisements on the free users
* you can have a subscription model for advanced features, rather than just a one-off license model. It can even be cheap, of the $1/month variety, which can mean nice steady income
* you can get some very useful information on what your users use/do to help you figure out what to improve and where to take your app.
* you can have surveys, trial features etc. and get feedback

For the user it's a mixed bag -theres the trust/privacy issue, but then there's the you-get-free-online-backup and you-can-access-anywhere sweeteners.

I suspect many people did want a "googleapps" style version of onenote to access all their annotated snippets anywhere - at least they did when asked in surveys. It's cool, it's trendy, you'd have to be a crusty luddite to say no to such a survey (depending on how the question is asked - i bet there was no "sorry i want to own my data" option in it)

Carol Haynes:
I think that is the point - the give away of the day (mentioned in another thread) is pretty disingenuous because I bet Evernote version 3 will be free anyway but you need a paid subscription to use it - and to get people to bite they are giving away a free trial until it moves out of beta. Doubtless you will continue using the same account - but only in a paid version.

It also explains why they aren't responding to beta tester concerns about the online experience!!! People are forgetting - beta testing is making sure the software does what is required by the developer - not about providing what the beta testers want.

I am sure there will be people who will like the new model - but I'd guess there will be a lot of current customers who will simply dump Evernote as it is not what they bought into. Evernote probably don't care because they have a reputation now that means they can attract new customers to the service model.

We have to face it Evernote 2.2 is the end of the line unless you want a paid never ending subscription to a service that is at best unnecessary and at worst potentially worrying. Grab it while you can or forget Evernote. I have OneNote 2007 so I guess I will do the latter.

If you actually want all the sharing features etc. suggested then personally I think a website based on something like Drupal or Wordpress where you can set up access by group membership would be a free and better approach. If you just want note taking software what is the point?

Tekzel:
I don't really like Evernote 3 that much so far. Your database is on their server - no more local databases. And your backups are also online. If you have no internet connection you're out of luck.

Also, it appears that there is no more auto-category tagging, severely reduced category intersection features. By trying to make Evernote an "access from anywhere" application they have placed a lot of limits on it. The beta forum doesn't seem to be a very happy place lately.

Jim
-J-Mac (March 19, 2008, 07:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

If this is indeed the direction they are going, then I will never use the new version.  I require my data to be local.  Period.

Edit: Maybe it is time to revisit note taking software?  I have been searching for the perfect note taking program for a long time.  I used to use Keynote but after that died, I moved to Neomem.  After that one died, I moved to Evernote but wasn't entirely happy with the tape thing.  There was a period where I tried out OneNote but I hated that thing immediately.  I want a good old tree based note taking program with rich text editing capabilities in notes.  Why do people think they have to reinvent the note taking app in such weird ways like Evernote?  One feature I would like in a note taking program is a new note hotkey that I can use from anywhere and it JUST pops up a note entry dialog with the ability to select a category from a drop down and the editing controls.  Nice and compact, when you use the hotkey from Evernote it brings up the whole ugly unwieldy app interface.  Why does taking notes have to be rocket science?

Armando:
We have to face it Evernote 2.2 is the end of the line unless you want a paid never ending subscription to a service that is at best unnecessary and at worst potentially worrying. Grab it while you can or forget Evernote. I have OneNote 2007 so I guess I will do the latter.
-Carol Haynes (March 21, 2008, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've followed EverNote's shift, and about a month ago (like some others : superboyac, tomos... but maybe for different reasons) I've decided that my new webclipping/note taking app would be SQLNotes.

It can already do some of what EverNote 3 wants to do (it can pull data from remote databases, allow multi-user simultaneous editing, etc.) but will also always remain what it is now : a PIM/note taking program with just a local database. (You can of course have as many databases as you want.)

It's still in beta, but it's already got great power (more that Evernote )and PPLandry (Pierre) is listening carefully to users' suggestions. Documentation is still in its infancy, but figuring out the app (especially for most experienced DCers...) shouldn't be a problem with the documentation already available at http://www.sqlnotes.net/ (and more specifically there : http://www.sqlnotes.net/Documentation/tabid/65/Default.aspx )

SQLNotes currently uses JET for storage -- which does the job perfectly well IMO -- but will soon be able to use multiple back-ends (like SQL Server). see part of the discussion here : https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=10432.msg104014#msg104014

SQLNotes can be used simply, or in a complex way, using all the different features to view or manipulate your data. You decide! It can be used to just jot notes and then later organize them (type ctrl+alt+n like EverNote, and start typing!), or it can be used to organize your entire life... Especially with the new Calendar coming reeaaal soon and the Gantt charts coming a bit later. It's flexible, "scriptable"... Just what I like!

People are forgetting - beta testing is making sure the software does what is required by the developer - not about providing what the beta testers want.
-Carol Haynes (March 21, 2008, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

And that's what I like about beta testing SQLNotes : Pierre allows the application to evolve (Quickly!) according to the users' needs (after discussions, etc. of course). And he uses SQLNotes himself, of course...

Armando:
I want a good old tree based note taking program with rich text editing capabilities in notes.  Why do people think they have to reinvent the note taking app in such weird ways like Evernote?  One feature I would like in a note taking program is a new note hotkey that I can use from anywhere and it JUST pops up a note entry dialog with the ability to select a category from a drop down and the editing controls.  Nice and compact, when you use the hotkey from Evernote it brings up the whole ugly unwieldy app interface.  Why does taking notes have to be rocket science?
-Tekzel (March 21, 2008, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

SQLNotes does that.
- type ctrl+alt+n : start to write in a little window (not the whole interface, like EverNote), click "add" (or type alt+a)
- Go in your "inbox" grid to see your note (the grid's name can be changed and your note can be sent elsewhere too : you decide)

SQLNotes doesn't use the tape metaphore, but will be able too quite soon for those who want it like that. Right now it's more what you're describing : "a good old tree based note taking program with rich text editing capabilities in notes." and MUCH MUCH more. But it could be used just for that : simple note-taking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version