topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tron's Web site - Windows freeware utilities  (Read 9429 times)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tron's Web site - Windows freeware utilities
« on: September 29, 2007, 04:18 AM »
Found a site with a nice collection of free utilities. I haven't tried these yet, but some of them look really interesting to me, especially Hronos, Mlock, mtimer and strip_logs. The descriptions are all the software author's own.

http://markosf.ath.c...mSoftware/index.html

MLAUNCHER
This program starts programs, documents, folders or internet shortcuts (URLs) from its easy to make lists.

HRONOS
Why I wrote it:
When the Windows OS boots, it starts many programs (tray and others) that various applications install resulting in a delay since you see the desktop and be able to run something. I don't like that, so I find these programs that autorun (with www.sysinterals.com Autorun program) and remove them from the registry so that my system is ready for use faster. Since these programs are not all useless I run them anyway but when I choose to.
This also comes handy when I want to play a game hungry for resources or use a heavy on the CPU application (like ray-tracing). I skip running those programs and the machine is faster.
Another use is that I wanted to automatically shutdown my PC after some time. I am sure you can think of more uses.
In version 2 I added the ability to have a task run at a specific time and/or specific date. I also added the option for a weekly, monthly or yearly event, like a monthly payment or a birthday etc.
Its CPU usage is next to nothing, so it will not slow your system down.

X10
This program controls the X10 CM11A serial interface and through it all X10 devices in the house.

MDIALER
Dial a number through the modem and pick up the line (from the telephone that is connected to the modem) before timer reaches 0.

LPT-CONTROL
Read and Set bytes in your LPT port

LANGSAY
This is for people who use two keyboard layout languages and don't know how to touch type and have to look at the keyboard to find the keys. Many times they begin typing only to later realize that they are typing in the wrong language. This is frustrating.

This program plays an audio file through the audio card and speakers saying which language is currently selected. It says that as you begin typing.

MTERM
Windows Com Terminal program.
Connects to a communication port (COM1 COM2 etc.) and monitors all incoming strings (RING etc).

MLOCK
The need:
To run some programs automatically when my computer starts, but keep the computer locked and secure.
The problem:
Some programs need the user to be logged on in order to run, they can't start like a service.
The solution:
Use autologon from sysinternals and
use mLock to block access to your PCs desktop. It blanks the screen and requests a password to unlock it.
mLock disables the Windows key, alt-tab, ctrl-esc Even ctrl-alt-del is crippled and the user can not access the task manager. Works with XP/2k, 98/Me.

MFILTER
This program replaces characters in a file with other characters of your choosing.

MOUSE GRID
Mouse Grid helps you navigate your mouse by using the keyboard.

STRIP_LOGS
Strip logs is a  program that can open a text log file and remove or keep lines containing one of the strings the user inputs. The strings can be saved when exiting, so you don’t have to retype them each time. I needed it to manipulate server log files (apache logs, email server logs ftp server logs etc.)

MTIMER
Count down timer with many presets times. It plays a wav file when it reaches zero and pops up a window. (default sound is %windir%\Media\tada.wav)
It can also start a file when it reaches zero (exe, bat or whatever)

VNOTE
Write a small note and save it as a .vnt file that is compatible with most cellphones.
You can automatically send it via bluetooth by adding the "runmenu.exe" in the same folder.

MFNOTEPAD
mfNotePad is a utility to replace the yellow post-it notes around your monitor.
The basic idea for this program belongs to Yiannis Kostandaras.
It appears as a thin line on the edge of the screen. (You can choose Top, bottom, left, right edge)

MFTP
mFTP is a program to help you upload/download a set of files to an FTP server
Another option you have is to Email some or all of those files, or copy them to another PC through LAN or locally to another disk or folder.
The encryption used besides the zip password is blowfish.
You can set a password to ask at startup.
-Software author's description

There are also the following utils, that the author has dubbed "Essential":

Here are some utilities I wrote that I find essential in setting up batch files to automate various tasks:

Autokeys Sends keystrokes to a selected window.

MouseClick Moves mouse and sends mouse-clicks to specific pixel coordinates.

See4task Check if a task is running and execute another program if the condition is met.

See4string Check a text file for a string and execute another program if the condition is met.

See4window Check if a window is visible on screen and execute another program if the condition is met.

Wait4win Pauses the execution of a batch file until a window appears or closes.

Wait4task Pauses the execution of a batch file until a task runs or closes.

DateCheck check if two files have the same file date and execute another program if the condition is met.

MakeDateDir Makes a folder named with the current date and time, optionally executes a batch file to perform some task (e.g. backup)

MyIP Finds you external Internet IP and uploads it in an FTP site or sends it as an email.

Reminder Pop up a message box, ask the user a question with a timer and auto selected answer and much more.

Source: Tron's Web site

Hope some of these are useful to some of you!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tron's Web site - Windows freeware utilities
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 10:58 AM »
nice  :up:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 12:33 PM »
Thanks ! Mlock looks like a useful little program.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 11:50 PM »
Looks interesting, but some of the information on each application is a bit sparse.  For example, I have a question for anyone who is currently running mLock (if any):

The info page for mLock states the following:  "Caution! Don't forget the password you set because your only solution is to reset your PC!"  What exactly does "reset your PC" mean? Reboot?  Or -- and this would definitely make me stay away from this program -- wipe it and reinstall all?

Thanks!

Jim

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 03:29 AM »
Although I haven't tested mLock, I'd be extremely surprised if "reset" meant having to wipe the computer and not just "reboot". Don't blame me though ;)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 04:42 PM »
Although I haven't tested mLock, I'd be extremely surprised if "reset" meant having to wipe the computer and not just "reboot". Don't blame me though ;)

I don't know about you, but I always hate finding out such things the hard way!!   :o

Jim

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:57 AM »
What exactly does "reset your PC" mean? Reboot?

Means doing a 'cold reboot'... done with pressing the reset button on your PC case or pressing the power button for five seconds.

Also see http://en.wikipedia....d_Reboot#Hard_reboot
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 08:59 AM by wr975 »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 01:03 AM »
What exactly does "reset your PC" mean? Reboot?

Means doing a 'cold reboot'... done with pressing the reset button on your PC case or pressing the power button for five seconds.

Also see http://en.wikipedia....d_Reboot#Hard_reboot

Thank you.  Though I did know what a cold reboot was.  What I could not be certain about was what the site owner meant by the words "...reset your PC.".  When people use non-specific terms like that they might mean something different but not know how to express it clearly, particularly if English is not their first language. 

Better safe than sorry!