ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows XP too good for Microsoft’s own good?

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
LOL - Microsoft have extended the period in which OEMs can offer new machines with Windows XP (what does that say about demand for Vista - or does it reflect the number of people taking up the 'downgrade to XP' scheme MS have had to set up).

So MS plan to sell XP until 2010 - what is Vista for then? The next generation will be out then - and that will a DRMed boot system!

Here is an article about it: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=759&tag=nl.e539 the discussion following it is quite entertaining if you like the:

"I know more than you 'cos I use Linux"
"No I know more than you because I use an iMac (and I'm richer)"
"What are you talking about Vista is wonderful and lightening fast on 5Kb of memory"

type of thing ;)

--- End quote ---

Ehtyar:
That woman writes some exceptionally good material, and she's almost always right on the money. Thanks for the link Carol.

Ehtyar.

1101doc:
An open letter to Microsoft:

Guys.  Vista is not going to cut it, and everybody knows it.  Sure, the eye candy is great, BUT.  Anybody remember ME?  Look.  XP is really good.  Really.  I use it.  My Mom uses it.  AT&T uses it.  It can virtualize.  Do media.  Almost everything.  Almost.  And since SP2, not very buggy.  Well, there's still that Taskbar thingy with disappearing icons, and the explorer.exe crashes, but still, most of the time, for most stuff, XP is great.  Mostly.

You want me to buy a new OS from you?  Give me XPx!  Take XP and fix it up.  Integrate all the Sysinternals stuff.  Make Process Explorer the Taskmanager.  Make the Control Panel one-stop shopping for everything.  If you don't like XPSysPad or its' competitors, I'll bet Mark and his Sysinternals guys will whip you up a doozy.  I spend alot of time on the computer help forums just explaining how to navigate to the dialog box to mark the little box that needs checking!  Make it easy and straightforward and all in one place.

And make the explanations in plain English!!  Hey! View> Arrange Icons by..'Show in Groups' means Alphabetize! OK?  And who can tell what Services do from reading the descriptions?  I just came by a Win98 printed manual.  One of those would be way good!  Get some help from ordinary (not power) users.

And you want to do up some eye candy with it?  Cool!
Make it the full Monty!  Tweak it out, streamline it, integrate a 2-way firewall (Buy one if you have to, but make it Comodo strong), Rename stuff to make it intuitive,soup up the clipboard, expand right-click control...   Heck!  Do the stuff natively that Donation Coder and others have been doing for you to make XP really work up to it's potential!

Are you listening, Jeff?  Give me a reworked, bug free, self-monitoring, straight-forward XP and I will give you some big dollars.  Really.  I would buy a full tilt SP3 integrated XP with those sort of improvements- full retail- direct from you in a New York minute.

Give me XPx! 

I am standing by with credit card in hand!

Ralf Maximus:
And leave out the soul-sucking DRM, please.

k thx bai

Carol Haynes:
And make the explanations in plain English!!  Hey! View> Arrange Icons by..'Show in Groups' means Alphabetize! OK?
--- End quote ---

Hmmm ... nope ...you are wrong there.

You can show in groups by file type, file size, date etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version