topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Wanted: Simple drum machine program!  (Read 30944 times)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wanted: Simple drum machine program!
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:20 AM »
I have been looking forever, I am learning to play the guitar and need to work on my timing.  I despise metronomes and want something more interesting, something that can just loop a drum beat.  Sounds simple right?  Surely there has to be a bunch of programs out there that do this, right?  No.  Everything I find is this huge convoluted mess of a program where you have to design the beats and stuff.  I just want something with some drum beats that I can select and hit play and it goes and goes, so I can practice along with it.  Anyone seen or heard of anything like that? 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:23 AM by Tekzel »

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wanted: Simple drum machine program!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:31 AM »

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:11 PM »
I used Hammerhead; http://www.download....0-2170_4-906069.html

You could give http://www.ordrumbox.com/online.php a shot.

Thanks for the reply, but I checked those out long ago and they were both way more complex than I want.  I don't want to design any patterns at all.  I really just want to select from a few existing simple patterns and hit play.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:17 PM »
I can make you one. What kind of patterns do you want?

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:23 PM »

That would be nifty!  As to kind, you mean just stuff like rock type drum patterns?  Also, a key feature would be the ability to set the BPM and change it easily.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:43 PM »

That would be nifty!  As to kind, you mean just stuff like rock type drum patterns?  Also, a key feature would be the ability to set the BPM and change it easily.
Ok, i'll try. I'll keep you updated.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 02:35 PM »
I used a program called AcidMusic (or AcidDJ or something like that) from Sony a while back that had that capability.  You simply choose a sound, and paint on the track.  It couldn't be simpler.  I did a quick google search on sound looping and found several interesting hits as well.  Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia of several choices:

Some of the most widely used are, Sony's ACID, Cakewalk Sonar, ReCycle, GarageBand, FL Studio (formerly Fruity Loops), Ableton Live, Augustus Loop, Multi Loop, and Ambi Loop.
-Wikipedia

You might want to give one of these a try.  If you want to try ACID, here is a link to get it.  It is based on version 5 (6 is the current version).  I stopped at version 3 so I don't know how good this one is.

http://www.sonycreat...ad/step2.asp?DID=551

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:46 PM by steeladept »

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 03:42 PM »
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 04:02 PM »
Hey, I was just asking for this also, I play a lot of jazz piano, so I'm always using an accompaniment, whether it's a metronome or, like you, preferably a drum machine.  Steinberg has a program out called Groove Agent that lets you easily pick a style you want and it will just play along.  i've used it and it's pretty good, but it might be more expensive than you want.  What I settled with after a LOT of searching for this exact sort of thing is that I got a looped sample CD that plays jazz brush drumming (which is what I wanted) and I just loop those wav files in my sequencer program.  It works really well.  A good program to play loops with is Ableton Live, which might also be too expensive for you.  You can also load it in the popular freeware sequencer (I forgot the name), but you won't have Ableton's nice looping features.

Yeah, I've looked for this a lot and sadly it's not really out there.  Actually, for me it's difficult because I'm looking for light jazz brush drumming, which is very difficult to find.  For most other popular styles, it shouldn't be too hard.  Groove Agent would be the easiest to use if you can afford it.  There's also a program called Band-in-a-Box that can be used for just drums, but that's also a little expensive.  Good luck!

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 04:57 PM »
Percussion Studio can also create loops etc:

http://www.henrykell...om/PercussionStudio/

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 05:04 PM »

I think you guys might be missing what Tekzel is actually looking for.  I don't think he wants a program where he can create a rhythm.  He wants one where he can just turn on and have a drum rhythm start playing, so he can practice to it.  There are a lot of good drum sampling programs out there that allow people to create drum samples, create rhythms, play "virtual" drum sets, etc.  But there are very few dedicated, simple drum machines.  Again, the only one I can think of right now that's any good is Groove Agent.  I remember I searched for weeks for a good, simple program and never found one.  That's why I settled on playing the samples on a loop.  Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 03:12 PM »

I think you guys might be missing what Tekzel is actually looking for.  I don't think he wants a program where he can create a rhythm.  He wants one where he can just turn on and have a drum rhythm start playing, so he can practice to it.  There are a lot of good drum sampling programs out there that allow people to create drum samples, create rhythms, play "virtual" drum sets, etc.  But there are very few dedicated, simple drum machines.  Again, the only one I can think of right now that's any good is Groove Agent.  I remember I searched for weeks for a good, simple program and never found one.  That's why I settled on playing the samples on a loop.  Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Yes!! YESS!!  Someone gets me! :) 

Every one of the suggested programs in this thread are waaaaaay more complex than I am looking for.  Like superboyac said, I seriously want like 3 clicks, one to start the program, one to select a pattern, and one to hit play.  I am beginning to think this doesn't exist, so maybe if scancode comes up with something cool he can corner a market!! :)

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 04:46 PM »
^.^

Actually the thing i'm working now works using standard XM files... [FastTracker modules]... That allows for small-filesize loops and easy BPM changing... I'll try to get it finished this week :-]

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 07:59 PM »
That's why I settled on playing the samples on a loop
this is what I've always done and is pretty simple to do. If you can't find any dedicated drum machine just pick a sequencer, use the sample files or download some, and loop them... after that is should be pretty easy to play with the tempo, volume, pitch, etc.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 08:09 PM »
[Off-topic] btw, if you want to work on your time, it's also good to record yourself and listen to the recording afterwards.
Also, even if practicing with a metronome is not that fun, it's a very good exercise (especially at very slow tempi)... one gets used to it and it can even become... fun :).[/off-topic]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 08:14 PM by Armando »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 09:17 PM »
^.^

Actually the thing i'm working now works using standard XM files... [FastTracker modules]... That allows for small-filesize loops and easy BPM changing... I'll try to get it finished this week :-]

That would be cool.  Here's a suggestion if you're interested, on what I think would be the perfect thing for something like this.  Most sample cd's use wav files (or can easily be converted to wav files).  If you can make something that can use these wav files, that would be great.  Here's my vision:
Have maybe 6 buttons on the program (intro, main loop1, fill1, main loop2, fill2, ending).  For each button, the user would assign a wav file to it (it would be easy because drum loop sample cd's are already organized like this and they are loop-ready, meaning if you play the file in a repeated cycle you won't notice any breaks).  Then, have another button somewhere where you can change the bpm.  That would be the perfect program.  You can assign keyboard letters for each button to make it easier and control it from there.

By the way, this is how my old yamaha keyboard was back in the day, and it was a really easy way to get drum accompaniment.

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 12:49 AM »
try hydrogen from http://www.hydrogen-music.org/
there's also a windows and mac osx version in the download section
and here's the best part: it's totally free

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 02:27 PM »
^.^

That would be cool.  Here's a suggestion if you're interested, on what I think would be the perfect thing for something like this.  Most sample cd's use wav files (or can easily be converted to wav files).  If you can make something that can use these wav files, that would be great.  Here's my vision:
Have maybe 6 buttons on the program (intro, main loop1, fill1, main loop2, fill2, ending).  For each button, the user would assign a wav file to it (it would be easy because drum loop sample cd's are already organized like this and they are loop-ready, meaning if you play the file in a repeated cycle you won't notice any breaks).  Then, have another button somewhere where you can change the bpm.  That would be the perfect program.  You can assign keyboard letters for each button to make it easier and control it from there.

By the way, this is how my old yamaha keyboard was back in the day, and it was a really easy way to get drum accompaniment.

There's a little problem, audio stretching/shrinking is a bit too advanced for my skills :-[
XMs are like MIDIs, i mean, you can change tempo, because it records INSTRUCTIONS, not AUDIO DATA....
Let's see what it ends up like :-]

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 02:45 PM »
try hydrogen from http://www.hydrogen-music.org/
there's also a windows and mac osx version in the download section
and here's the best part: it's totally free

Holy cow, I want to play a simple drum pattern, not fly the space shuttle.  :/

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 05:22 PM »
hehe ;D

It's going to be hard finding what you're looking for.  Like I said before, I spent an intense two weeks searching, didn't find anything that was simple and affordable.  Steinberg's Groove Agent was the closest, but it's expensive.  The cheapest and easiest solution is this:  find a sample drum cd with some loops on it of the rhythms you're looking for.  Then, play the loop in Ableton Live, or if possible, another software (of which I don't know of) that can loop the file seamlessly.  Good luck.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 05:37 PM »
You could always try something like trxox (http://www.sonicspot...com/trxox/trxox.html) or virtual909(http://www.sonicspot...l909/virtual909.html). Don't sound that great, but better than nothing. I don't even think they can do triplets. Might have to stick to 16, 8, 4...

There are other solutions:

http://www.sonicspot...drumbox/drumbox.html
http://www.sonicspot...head/hammerhead.html
http://www.sonicspot...stealth/stealth.html
http://www.sonicspot...onfish/moonfish.html

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Tekzel:
I was going to go into where to find drum loops and software to play them in, and then I found this:
Practice with style! A drum machine for non-scientists
Red Devil-groove box is designed with goal to give musicians a simple, yet effective way to practice.
Red Devil-groove box is loaded with quality sounds and drum patterns to make your practice sessions less mundane and more musical.
With Red Devil-groove box, guitar and bass players can instantly jam along to high-quality drum accompaniments.

http://www.desktopme...vebox/groove_box.htm

groove_box_large.jpgWanted:  Simple drum machine program!

It's not freeware (25 usd, 20 eur) but I think it fits the bill nicely, eh?
If you still want freeware, I can post what I was originally going to say.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 11:52 AM by Edvard »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 04:05 PM »
Yes!  That looks pretty good.  I'm going to have to try it out for sure.  Hopefully, there's a place where we can use our own loops to come up with a customized style.  I hope that's what the "user" button is for.

jeffjeff

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 05:35 AM »
It's not just three clicks :(, but the price is right :Thmbsup::

Audacity can import all kinds of sound files (like the demo mp3s from http://www.desktopme...vebox/groove_box.htm). If you mark up a measure or several and hold SHIFT when you click Play it will loop the selection. It also has Effects for changing speed, pitch and so on.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:40 AM by jeffjeff »

jimleemusic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 02:33 PM »

QuickBeat is what you want. It's super simple and sounds better than the rest.

Here's a free demo http://www.quickbeat.com/qb_demo.html

:Thmbsup: