topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Today I Learned Of The Existance of MindTouch Deki Wiki "Hayes"  (Read 7271 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am just starting to look at what it can do, but it is interesting enough that I am sure some of the folks around here (hello Veign) would be interested in checking it out as well.

My summary is open source web application framework similar to Drupal, Joomla, etc. but wiki-centric and focusing on consuming web services.

Deki Wiki
[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Video Demo available.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:47 AM by tinjaw »

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Today I Learned Of The Existance of MindTouch Deki Wiki "Hayes"
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:04 AM »
Tinny: Can it be installed on my shared hosting space or is it only for intranets?

Which, in your opinion, is the best wiki installable on your web host?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:26 PM »
Tinny: Can it be installed on my shared hosting space or is it only for intranets?
You can download it and install it wherever you want. There is also a virtual machine version if you want to try it out.

Which, in your opinion, is the best wiki installable on your web host?
It depends on a few things. For a "pure" wiki, I like mediawiki, the one that runs Wikipedia. But you might choose something else if you have different needs. For example, if you like PHP, want more than just a wiki, but want something integrated, then you might want TikiWiki. If you want it to be just a single (albeit large) HTML file that you can run off a USB stick, you can use TiddlyWiki, that has a plugin to keep a copy hosted on a web server.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:40 PM »
Came to know from their forum that presently it's not possible to set it up on shared hosting space due to dependence on .NET. So it's only good for intranet deployment. By this year end, they plan to release a version of it that we can install on our own web space.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Came to know from their forum that presently it's not possible to set it up on shared hosting space due to dependence on .NET. So it's only good for intranet deployment. By this year end, they plan to release a version of it that we can install on our own web space.

Well, that is only true if your only option is Linux-based hosting. Most hosting services also offer Windows-based hosting services.