ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Today I Learned Of The Existance of MindTouch Deki Wiki "Hayes"

(1/1)

tinjaw:
I am just starting to look at what it can do, but it is interesting enough that I am sure some of the folks around here (hello Veign) would be interested in checking it out as well.

My summary is open source web application framework similar to Drupal, Joomla, etc. but wiki-centric and focusing on consuming web services.

Deki Wiki
[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]
Video Demo available.

sri:
Tinny: Can it be installed on my shared hosting space or is it only for intranets?

Which, in your opinion, is the best wiki installable on your web host?

tinjaw:
Tinny: Can it be installed on my shared hosting space or is it only for intranets?
-sri (October 17, 2007, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
You can download it and install it wherever you want. There is also a virtual machine version if you want to try it out.

Which, in your opinion, is the best wiki installable on your web host?
-sri (October 17, 2007, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
It depends on a few things. For a "pure" wiki, I like mediawiki, the one that runs Wikipedia. But you might choose something else if you have different needs. For example, if you like PHP, want more than just a wiki, but want something integrated, then you might want TikiWiki. If you want it to be just a single (albeit large) HTML file that you can run off a USB stick, you can use TiddlyWiki, that has a plugin to keep a copy hosted on a web server.

sri:
Came to know from their forum that presently it's not possible to set it up on shared hosting space due to dependence on .NET. So it's only good for intranet deployment. By this year end, they plan to release a version of it that we can install on our own web space.

tinjaw:
Came to know from their forum that presently it's not possible to set it up on shared hosting space due to dependence on .NET. So it's only good for intranet deployment. By this year end, they plan to release a version of it that we can install on our own web space.
-sri (October 17, 2007, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, that is only true if your only option is Linux-based hosting. Most hosting services also offer Windows-based hosting services.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version