topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Can you recommend Selkie Rescue Data Recovery??  (Read 21593 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can you recommend Selkie Rescue Data Recovery??
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Selkie: there's a lot of pitfalls in the GPL. You're obviously using some GPL software (ie., linux kernel and probably some tools as well, I didn't bother to snoop around your squashfs ramdisk images). Already here, you need to provide source for the GPL components.

Also, unless you have been very careful as to which libraries your proprietary application links against, you need to either provide .obj files so that people can re-link (if you use just a single piece of LGPL code), or your entire source code (if you use just a single piece of GPL code).

And you should also distrbute a copy of the GPL license with your program, which you don't seem to do (and you might want to check if your EULA is even compatible with the GPL). Heck, it wasn't even obvious from your site or documentation that your program is linux-based (well, I had a hunch, and it was obvious when I snooped in the .iso image, and using google to search your site did find some hits in non-obvious places).

Not trying to be a prick, just pointing out how dangerous it is to mix GPL with commercial software.
- carpe noctem

Selkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Selkie Rescue
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 12:37 PM »
Hey all input is welcome, please keep it coming - the feedback on our website was great  :-* we'll have to add in new info based on the comments in this string

and actually we *do* ship copies of the GPL not only on the bootable program but also in the Windows help portion and it's part of our EULA - see, we have these lawyers and from day one they've bugged us about it  8) and you're so right  - it can be very dangerous

It's not my area, but I've listened in on the conversations about this at work and you do have to be very careful - in the end I'm still grateful to the guys who put the GPL stuff out there  :Thmbsup:
make it count

Selkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Selkie Rescue
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Curt - one other option on your broken CD drive is find an external CD drive (I used to have one of them - you've probably seen them) and change your boot settings to 'USB device'. That should allow Selkie to take it from there. Unless you need to get the CD drive fixed regardless.  :-\
make it count

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 02:49 AM »
Curt - one other option on your broken CD drive is find an external CD drive (I used to have one of them - you've probably seen them) and change your boot settings to 'USB device'. That should allow Selkie to take it from there. Unless you need to get the CD drive fixed regardless.  :-\

curious:
Could he put it onto a usb as well stick then?

EDIT of course he'd need to copy it from a cd drive :) but could possibly do that on different pc
Tom

Selkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Selkie Rescue
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 09:39 AM »
Not yet, but we're working on it!  :D We're hoping to have the USB stick/key worked out in the next few months.

We do have instructions in our manual for passing the boot to a floppy disk - I know that's nowhere near what you're asking but it's just a random piece of information.  :-[
make it count