ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can you recommend Selkie Rescue Data Recovery??

<< < (4/6) > >>

Darwin:
Quite the cast of characters at Tugboat Enterprises - in some cases a trip down BC's political memory lane and in others a diverse assortment of tech gurus and US businesspeople backing and advising it.

Selkie:
*AHEM*

this Selkie is, in fact, not a man  :P

and yes, I think of us as the Island of Misfit Toys (gold star if you get the reference) - and just like in that story, it all works

I'm glad we found this forum - we'll keep an eye on things here and feel free to let us know if there's something we need to reply to!  8)

AHMalik:
Why not try a Free but simple & efficient?
Restoration V3.2.13, Win 9x/NT/ME/2000/XP,
http://hccweb1.bai.ne.jp/~hcj58401/  (freeware)
English : Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin by mistake. Conversely, delete confidential documents completely. You don´t have to install it, so it doesn´t leave any garbage in the PC. (You can also run it from a floppy disk.) NTFS is supported from version 2.2.12.

Curt:
Why not try a Free but simple & efficient?-AHMalik (September 27, 2007, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why? Because:

... the big question inside my head is if the program will resque those files that were saved the normal way in Explorer (but are now untouchable because Explorer is crashing), or if it merely will save those files that have been deleted. To my (lack of) understanding, the programs you were telling about, will not offer to give me back all these "normal saved" files, will they? And: will Selkie? -Curt (September 26, 2007, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

- meaning that this thread is not about yet another "Recover your deleted files", free or not, but on the contrary it is about recovering your normal files which were never deleted but are unreachable to you because Windows / Explorer keeps crashing - and you had no backup.

That is the kind of program I am in the need of right now, and that is why I started this thread. But other than that, I am sure this Restoration  you are recommending is a fine piece of program, so: Thanks for telling anyway, AHMalik!  :up:

-----
*AHEM*

this Selkie is, in fact, not a man  :P

-Selkie (September 27, 2007, 07:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

:-[  Sorry!
Guess Selkie was another dame  after all...

- but now you are extra welcome,  :-*
because we really have so few women among/amongst us!  :(

f0dder:
Well thanks for being neighbourly  :D

Selkie is not limited to 'NTFS volumes' it (or SHE) supports FAT32 and earlier FAT file systems and most Linux and Unix partitions.

We've also set it up so that Selkie only deals with the data files in 'read only' form so she can't do any damage while she's rescuing your stuff.

On the downside, we can't do anything with corrupted volumes - this is because dealing with corrupted file systems requires that the end user be fairly technically-savvy, and we're actually trying to go for the typical computer or laptop user in a 'do-it-yourself' format.
-Selkie (September 27, 2007, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
So in other words, Selkie is simply a linux-based filecopier that will copy files off the filesystems the linux kernel supports?

Not a bad tool, but not really a recovery product either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version