ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can you recommend Selkie Rescue Data Recovery??

(1/6) > >>

Curt:
Even with a 51% Bits du Jour discount Selkie Rescue Data Recovery is still $49 (normal: $99), so because my budget is tight  I am bound to ask  if any of you guys and dolls can recommend this program? I have never heard of it before today, and it is hard for me to understand any of how it works. Do you know?

Edit: It turns out they have an okay demo video (8MB wmv), telling how it works

http://www.bitsdujour.com/index.aspx?review=43

Darwin:
Curt, I've not tried this but there are excellent options in the $49-69 range. I'd download a few trials and see what you think. I use both RecoverMyFiles and Restorer2000. There is also File-Saver which I have used in the past and found perfectly adequate. It permanently on sale for around $20 or less. The attraction for me of RecoverMyFiles is its ability to preview the files it finds for recovery. This is handy when you're looking for things like photos on corrupt media, for example.

Most, if not all, of the features that Selkie lists to rationalize purchasing their product are available in each of the three that I've mentioned.

EDIT: Note that previewing images is a feature that both Restorer2000 and File-Saver are capable of... RecoverMyFiles previews Office documents, pdfs, and other file types as well.

Curt:
As I have added to my first post, they have an okay demo video on how the program works (direct link: 8MB, WMV). But speaking of videos, you really should take the time to watch this other promotion video, it is quite entertaining!

Both videos are placed at http://www.tugboatenterprises.com/index.php

Curt:
@ Darwin - thanks for telling!

However, the big question inside my head is if the program will resque those files that were saved the normal way in Explorer (but are now untouchable because Explorer is crashing), or if it merely will save those files that have been deleted. To my (lack of) understanding, the programs you were telling about, will not offer to give me back all these "normal saved" files, will they? And: will Selkie?

:tellme:

f0dder:
Reading through the stuff at www.tugboatenterprises.com I have no idea what the product really does, except that it can boot from a CD/DVD and has network access - it doesn't actually tell if the application does recovery, or it just lets you copy files off a (uncorrupted) partition. The pages are also a bit too much for-dummies and buzzwordy, reminds me a bit of www.grc.com even though not that bad.

It's definitely not something I'd buy without checking the demo first.

EDIT: added the missing "not", thanks Curt :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version