ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Shareware that don't have freeware replacements

<< < (3/11) > >>

lanux128:
i didn't notice FDM in the 2nd option earlier.. but FDM does support downloads from rapidshare, youtube, etc.. but i'm not sure how because i haven't had the need so far..

iphigenie:
I was trying to think of the cases where I use shareware, and I can't think of any which don't have some freeware alternative. Maybe slysoft's anydvd and maybe fraps... the alternatives are just very very fussy and low-level fiddling.

All others have alternatives that do similar things. Obviously I use the shareware because it either has a few features that the freeware doesn't have, or it packages it better and is just nicer/easier to use, or i like the software and am used to it and will support it.

patthecat:
TrayEverything (freeware) seems comparable to PS Tray Factory from what PSTF features are described in above posts.  Allows minimizing to tray and or hiding apps from tray.  It also allows auto-minimizing of inactive windows and adding lite password protection to minimized/hidden windows. 

Am starting to switch to TrayEverything from TrayIt more and more.

http://www.winapizone.net/software/trayeverything

ChalkTrauma:
How about OrbitDownloader.. Kind of light on functionality, but I have had success downloading from sites that other download managers choked on.. And it is free.  :Thmbsup:.

http://www.orbitdownloader.com/

heinziten:
Can I add another task that needs a freeware program:

When buying a new computer, it will probably be one (NTFS) partition occupying the whole hard disk.  If you want to partition it, you need a commercial program such as Partition Magic to resize the existing partition to make space for the new partition - of course without loosing  data.

I can not find a free Windows or DOS program to do this. There are LINUX programs to do it (parted, gparted, NTFSresize), but I don't know how to use them. I want it on a DOS boot disk, or Boot CD (such as UBCD).

Can anybody help?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version