topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Looking for an E-Mail Client which can be run on an USB Stick  (Read 35260 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for an E-Mail Client which can be run on an USB Stick
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 11:41 AM »
... it is too big for my USB Flash Drive so the install fails leaving those apps that were installed unusable because the final part of the installation sets up the program menu and start files.

Sorry, Carol, but I simly could not understand how this can be. Isn't the size meant to fit a floppy; 1.4 MB? How can you have a stick [Edit: Flash Drive] that smal??
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:43 AM by Curt »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 01:09 PM »
My Flash Drive is 256Mb - and unpacking the suite (using the installer) filled it completely - and then some.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 01:35 PM »
Sorry!  :-[
- I was confusing apples with pears ... Floppy Office with PortableApps Suite! BTW, the new Floppy Office ZIP is 1.87 MB, so I cannot see the unzipped collection fit a floppy anymore.

npopuk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 02:52 AM »
nPOP or its UK cousin, nPOPUk
Thanks for mentioning nPOPuk.  (It's open source, by the way!) v2.08 was released on Monday 1 October 2007 and offers a lot of new features.  Still only a 136kb download (for Win32) with versions for almost all other Windows-based machines around (PocketPC etc.)

As mentioned here already, nPOPuk is included in the Floppy Office package, (It's replaced nPOP) but it may take them a few more days before their package is updated.

Greg Chapman
http://www.npopsupport.org.uk
Supporting nPOPuk - the Portable E-Mail Client.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 05:07 AM »
As mentioned here already, nPOPuk is included in the Floppy Office package, (It's replaced nPOP) but it may take them a few more days before their package is updated.

Greg Chapman
http://www.npopsupport.org.uk
Supporting nPOPuk - the Portable E-Mail Client.

Ah haaa... the former moderator of BATPOWER_UK puts in an appearance...   8)

Greg,

Is nPop one of the ones that leaves the mail on the server, and you have to deliberately specify particular messages to be saved to disk, as opposed to something like TheBat! which saves everything in a database?  The no-save keep-it-on-the-server idea is sensible for a portable application, of course.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 05:31 AM »
I thought all POP clients had a 'leave a copy on the server' option - you usually set it up in the account set up section.

Surely the Bat has that option too?

npopuk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Ah haaa... the former moderator of BATPOWER_UK puts in an appearance...   8)
Ah!  Too true!  Never got beyond batch file programming on the PC.  That's why I just do the documentation these days!

(Better explain to Carol, BATPOWER_UK was FidoNet echomail.  FidoNet was an amateur version of the internet from the days before the public had access.  Echomail is the equivalent of Usenet/Newsgroups.  None of it was anything to do with "The Bat".)
Is nPop one of the ones that leaves the mail on the server,
Like most programs you have the choice.  The defaults leave it on the server and only downloads the first 100 lines of each message, but you can change everything.  Some people just use it as a mail notifier (downloading no message content at all) as it uses so little resources.  Downloading a limited number of lines means that you can leave giant attachments behind and still read the message, are pretty well immune from viruses carried in the HTML part of mail, etc etc.
and you have to deliberately specify particular messages to be saved to disk, as opposed to something like TheBat! which saves everything in a database?
There's no database (messagebase to the FidoNetters amongst us!).  Messages for each account are saved in a file as plain text (if you want to!).  Makes it beautifully easy to interrogate old mail, even if you give up the program.

Greg

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2007, 11:54 AM »
(Better explain to Carol, BATPOWER_UK was FidoNet echomail.  FidoNet was an amateur version of the internet from the days before the public had access.  Echomail is the equivalent of Usenet/Newsgroups.  None of it was anything to do with "The Bat".)

Sorry I was responding to the paragraph immediately before my post which referred to TheBat!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 05:49 AM »
I thought all POP clients had a 'leave a copy on the server' option - you usually set it up in the account set up section.

Surely the Bat has that option too?

Wasn't very clear  :( what I was asking, was nPOPuk's default to leave everything on the server but not to save anything to local drive unless specifically requested.  With TB! you automatically save everything to your local HD.   It has endless options for leaving/selectively deleting from the server, depending on your requirements.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 06:03 AM »
(Better explain to Carol, BATPOWER_UK was FidoNet echomail.  [...]  None of it was anything to do with "The Bat".)

Oops, I overlooked possible confusion there   :-[

The defaults leave it on the server and only downloads the first 100 lines of each message, but you can change everything. 

Thanks - sounds good!

There's no database (messagebase to the FidoNetters amongst us!).  Messages for each account are saved in a file as plain text (if you want to!).

Just like Fidonet *.MSG   ;)

Makes it beautifully easy to interrogate old mail, even if you give up the program.

I should think desktop search engines like Copernic can easily index simple files like that.  I see that Archivarius can index Squish message bases, but oddly that's the only native Fidonet format it mentions.