topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Flowchart and Diagramming Review  (Read 40070 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Flowchart and Diagramming Review
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 06:18 AM »
i've put a link to bug tracking from the releases page, and i think it pays to add a link to it from each of the program pages.
but i don't think it makes much sense to have it on all the pages (reviews, etc).

as for the wiki - i think that would be a good candidate for having on every page, if and when we get to a point where there is some actual real content on it.  right now i'm afraid it would be a bit of a let down.

i'd also like to add a "sitemap" link to top links on every page (next to |Links|), but i'm still looking for some ideas on what a nice sitemap might look like and how to make one.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 10:07 PM »
Ive just added a couple of free flowcharting apps in the sandbox, but I couldnt initially edit the freeware section - no "edit link" appeared (this on many occasions bar one).
That was using maxthon - in desperation I changed to opera and voila , now I have a regularly appearing edit link for the freeware section.
Question - "diagramming review" - does this imply you're covering mind mapping software (eg "inspiration") as well.
Suggestion for review: Some software allows for uploading/downloading diagrams to your pda (inspiration, plus some pda platform sw, in conjunction with visio(?) ) ... is that worth a mention in your reviews?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 11:13 PM »
just select the "edit page" option in left sidebar to edit entire page.

import+export functions should definitely be considered in review.

i look forward to hearing from sword how he wants to focus the review and whether things like mind mapping will be considered - i think it should be focused on intended use, so mind mapping software that only does mind mapping might be more appropriate for a separate review of such tools.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005, 01:01 AM »
I was initially going to review mindmapping but I'm open to directions. I have Mindmanager Personal and put a trial copy of Ygnius mindmapping by Gael on one box. Liked it but it is complicated. I could put it on another box to review it. Doing it in another review is okay with me too. Please call the shots. I'm' really new to this. Both programs, above, were on a CD with "The Knowledge Management Toolkit" ISBN0-13-009224-X.
I will try to pare down the list. I find the use of tables where the program is at the top and the abilities are listed in rows to be nice to use. So far one of the best I've seen is the JAZZ one. I like zoom, poster sized pages, layers and transparency for what I do. I've been making my own with MS Publisher 2002 but I would like a fresh one. I added diagram studio with a .TIF screenshot and a list of features to my notes [ thanks brotherS]. I will look at the new free flowcharting apps by tsaint but did not see them a minute ago. Must have gotten lost. About half of my original 146 sites were dead links and some were duplicates. A google search turned up a lot of matches so there should be lots of others.
Add or delete if you want. Do you add things in the sandbox or under "discussion"? I have a couple of URLs for other sites covering similar reviews if anyone is interested. I don't know if it is appropriate to mention it here.
Cheers, sword

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2006, 02:02 PM »
It's too bad this idea never made it off the launchpad. I am in the market for a poor man's Visio. I need it for flowcharts and network diagrams. So far it looks like Dia for flowcharts and Network Notepad for network diagrams. I am willing to pay $20-$30 for a program if it is $20-$30 better than Dia or Network Notepad.  ;) They are pretty good, but not as good as I would like for the work I need to do.

What do you folks use? Any up and comers out there in the visio-like arena? Can we get one of the ones in the $75 range to give DC members a 50% discount?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 04:19 PM »
I have always liked the feel of Edge Diagrammer.  They have a slightly reduced program for $45 called wizflow:
http://www.pacestar.com/wizflow/desc.htm

i havent been keeping up with the competition so i don't know how it stacks up, i just know that its one of the few diagramming programs that i actually enjoyed using.

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Ditto for Edge Diagrammer. (what mouser said)

dB

bmm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Bent Møller Madsen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2006, 04:22 AM »
I like the Draw program in OpenOffice to create diagrams. Not as full-featured a dedicated diagramming programs but quite good for the small diagrams and way easier to use than Dia.

cdplayer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 03:12 PM »
I knew that someone would have brought up the flow charting software ConceptDraw. I've just downloaded the trial copy. From what I've seen it looks like a pretty good piece of software. I know that there are other software packages that do more or less the same I am wondering in your opinion what do you think is the best software in order to handle website planning (and not too expensive)?

Hey mouser is there a possibility that we can ask the folks who make ConceptDraw for a couple of free copies of their software and or a coupon? That would be great!

Thanks mouser  :Thmbsup:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 12:24 AM »
A couple interesting links :

RadiantThought (blog)

Cayra.net (software)

cdplayer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2007, 02:56 PM »
A couple interesting links :
RadiantThought (blog)
Cayra.net (software)
Thank you Armando for replying!  8)
Great article ( RadiantThought ) that talks about the important questions to ask when thinking about using such software.

The mind mapping software, Cayra appears to be very easy to use.  It sounds like it may be the software to use when developing a website. or any other Project that requires mind mapping.

Cheers!
Elton

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2007, 03:09 PM »
I just purchased EDraw Flowchart and works great at a very reasonable price:
http://www.veign.com...edraw-flowchart.html

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 02:14 AM »
Don't forget Gliffy! www.gliffy.com - Totally web-based.
Also, if you're including Sodipodi, you should probably also include Inkscape (www.inkscape.org)
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.