topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any MWSnap users out there?  (Read 12772 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any MWSnap users out there?
« on: September 23, 2007, 11:30 PM »
recently, shellcity.net posted about MWSnap, a "small yet powerful Windows program for snapping (capturing) images from selected parts of the screen". so, i went to the web-site to check out its features but i was surprised to say the least because the program's last update was in July 2002. therefore, i'm wondering if there are MWSnap users here and would like their input on the program's capabilities and reasons to stick with it.. :)

ws-mwsnap-1.png

http://www.mirekw.co...freeware/mwsnap.html

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any MWSnap users out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 11:43 PM »
I used before but then I went to Screenshot Captor because for the simple fact the last version I used of MWSnap which I believe was the last version updated and it didnt have scrolling windows and I havent looked back at it.

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:19 AM »
I use it from to time for a particular reason : when i'm drawing on Photoshop, sometimes i need a photo model, so i make a screenshot with MWSnap, have it displayed, hide all toolbars and made the program window "always on top" so i have the picture displayed in a corner of my screen. I don't know if it's very clear :) I should make a ahk script to replace this.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 05:54 AM »
just like hamradio, i use Screenshot Captor but i'm always on the look-out for a light-weight version to complement SC.. btw, ak_ sometimes i do the same too, but i use IrfanView instead..

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 07:09 AM »
Yep, I have been using it for almost 2 years now.

I work in an IT department and often have a use to make screenshots when building tutorial websites for our users.

I had downloaded two programs - MWSnap and another - I believe it was called FS Capture.  I tried MWSnap first and it did everything I needed at the time so I never got to FS Capture (if indeed I'm remembering the name correctly).

I'm not certain what a previous respondant means by scrolling windows, but I do ocassionally have a need to capture the Windows start menu and MWSnap is not able to do so.  I have not found such a program that does, although frankly I haven't gone looking very hard.  I seldom make static tutorials these days since I discovered Wink.

Wink from debugmode.com is a video capture program, but unlike a lot of the really expensive "video format" capture programs, instead captures series of screenshots. Now, if I need to get a screenshot of something moving, like that damned windows start menu, I fire up Wink. It's not perfect, but the few idiosyncratic features are easy to deal with and the program is so easy to use....

I really like the "stream of screen captures" approach and find it easier to manipulate than a normal video stream.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Wink, I only think think it's the best damned free video tutorial making software ever invented.
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 11:55 AM »
I'm not certain what a previous respondant means by scrolling windows, but I do ocassionally have a need to capture the Windows start menu and MWSnap is not able to do so.  I have not found such a program that does, although frankly I haven't gone looking very hard.  I seldom make static tutorials these days since I discovered Wink.

By Scrolling Windows basically I mean windows that have a scrollbar like long webpages you can tell it to capture all of the webpage by scrolling and capturing therefore you would have all of the webpage or any other type of data as a screenshot.  :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:12 PM »
i suppose FSCapture stands for FastStone Capture.. btw, hamradio for scrolling webpages i normally fall back on WebShot.. :)

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • BECOMING A WRITER SERIOUSLY
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 11:32 AM »
I have MWSnap installed, used it often initially.  Now I use ScreenHunter Pro 5.0 -- even paid for it to get its features.  Still MWSnap does a couple things well, so I've kept it on my system [tho, frankly, I've forgotten now what those good features are!].  An hour ago I downloaded Mouser's program, which looks like the best of them all -- will play with it this week.

Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 11:49 PM »
i see now that MWSnap is useful as a complementary program & i haven't used ScreenHunter Pro before but rest assured that Screenshot Captor will be on par with that program..

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 12:23 AM »
I *love* MWSnap!  Despite its dated Win95-ish look, its sometimes wacky behavior, its inability to see more than one monitor in a multi-monitor environment... I love it.  Why?

- It's small.

- It's fast. 

- It's simple and obvious to use, with a standard Windows Classic appearance.  No stupid alpha-blending effects or weirdly shaped non-rectangular windows.  No faux Aero shiny happy gradients.  Yes, it looks like a Win95 refugee, but so what?

- It's free, and no stinking ads.

- It remembers settings and defaults from session to session.

- It's solid.  Never crashed, not even once, and that's saying a lot on my system.

- It's well behaved and does not hijack all my keyboard hotkeys.

- It is not skinnable.  Yay.  How useless is that technology? 

- Its feature set is *perfect* for what it is.  No, I do not care to email screencaptures or create Flash files.  I don't need to edit or annotate the screenshot -- I have plenty of other high-power tools for that.  Just gimme the damned snap.

The only thing I wish could be fixed is the multi-monitor myopism.  Oh, and the printing support is kind of surreal, but that's a "nice to have" feature since I usually paste into Word and annotate there before printing.

MWSnap is defintely one of my favorites.  I've tried FS and a few others and have been dismayed at the results, always returning to reliable old MSWnap.

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 12:37 AM »
Yep, it might be old but it fits on my thumb drive and that's where I use it as a de facto pictorial note taker. So what if it hasn't been updated. It may not be an unuiquely Aussie saying but it's apt here.. "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 12:39 AM »
Oh, and the printing support is kind of surreal, but that's a "nice to have" feature since I usually paste into Word and annotate there before printing.

i guess that's when you use ScreenShot Captor.. and yes, i too sometimes go for simplicity over features. :)