ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

System drivers

(1/2) > >>

PhilB66:
I was wondering how do you guys go about keeping your system drivers - motherboard, graphics card, mouse, etc., up to date? Do you use a third party scanners to download updates or visit the manufacturer web site to do so?

f0dder:
I don't bother too much unless I have problems with my system, which I usually don't. The only driver I upgrade on a regular basis is my graphics driver, since those tend to have speed improvements now and then, or bugfixes for games (that I don't have time to play, but hey).

MSI has a pretty decent tool for detecting driver updates, but I'm mostly using ASUS boards nowadays.

Carol Haynes:
I check every now and again on the mobo manufacturer's website - but I only update if there is a specific issue causing problems (ditto BIOS). Graphics I update from the nVidia website.

I used to try to use the ASUS update utility but it seemed very unstable - and updaters (IMHO) should be rock solid - esp. if it is looking at BIOS updates!

cranioscopical:
I used to try to use the ASUS update utility but it seemed very unstable - and updaters (IMHO) should be rock solid - esp. if it is looking at BIOS updates!
-Carol Haynes (September 23, 2007, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a source of wonder to me that something so critical can be so unreliable. 
I figured it had to be me (usually is) and gave up on it. 
Now that I know it's not only me... I've given up on it.  :)

I don't bother to update any BIOS without very good cause.
As for the rest, I've had more nuisance conflicts from updating drivers than from leaving them alone.
I just go looking when I think I need something.

Armando:
I don't bother either. Only if I run into problems. Or if I'm trying to squeeze more performance out of a device for very specific reasons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version