topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 10:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Installer picks wrong language, cannot install  (Read 12958 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Installer picks wrong language, cannot install
« on: November 25, 2007, 09:49 AM »
On my Polish version of XP SP2, this is what the installer's first screen looks like:

moby_installer.png

I can see which button is the default, but other than that the installer is unusable. I canceled the installation for fear the program itself would look the same.

The characters are all wrong (Polish uses ISO-8859-2, or Windows-1250), a modified Latin alphabet. Since I've seen similar text before (notably in spam), I suppose the installer is trying to talk at me in Russian. Russian uses Cyrillic, which is an entirely different codepage, hence the display is all garbled. FWIW, the characters are definitely not garbled Polish characters. Agnitum Outpost once thought Polish users spoke Russian too, but it did manage to display Cyrillic correctly :)

Please complain to whoever authored the installer. To most people in Poland it will be undecipherable, even if properly displayed. I am of the last Polish generation who learned Russian as a mandatory subject at school, but even I cannot read Russian using Western European codepage :) Please note also that some people may find it culturally offensive, especially in a program for language buffs. If possible, please allow users to pick their language on the first page of the installer.

Is there a zip package I could download instead?

Kind thanks,
marek
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:55 AM by tranglos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Installer picks wrong language, cannot install
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 03:39 PM »
Hey marek -- wordzilla the author is away from home for next day but i know that the program doesn't really need an installer so i think he should be able to upload a zip version for you when he sees this.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Installer picks wrong language, cannot install
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 05:03 AM »
Thanks a lot, Mouser, I'll wait for that.