topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Keeping attributes and creation/modification dates when copying files/folders  (Read 27638 times)

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi.

Is there any utility that keeps all attributes and both creation and modification dates of files and folders when copying/moving them? I'm using WinRAR to pack the files/folders and extract them at the desired location, because Explorer will only preserve the attributes in very specific situations.

I've searched the forums and it seems Directory Opus is able to do it, but I'm hoping there's a free alternative somewhere as it seems like a pretty basic feature.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Dont know if this will do files or keep attributes as it looks like it is for folders, but it is suppose to keep modified/creation/accessed times from what it says not sure about attributes as I said. http://www.attributemagic.com/safecopy-free.html >> You could always test it and see.  :)

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've done a few quick tests and unfortunately that's not quite what I'm looking for. It doesn't copy files recursively, and it only keeps the creation date if the original file is not read-only.

Still, it's better than nothing at all and it can certainly help in some specific situations, so thanks for your effort.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
iirc, under ntfs, most copy programs will keep the original dates when copying/moving except for folders which will be the date that you copy/move and will keep on being updated every time you copy/move into that folder. this is not a problem in FAT32 but i haven't used FAT32 for some time..

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If moving to the same partition, Explorer will indeed keep both created and modified dates; however, when copying or moving to a different partition/physical disk, the creation date will be updated, I reckon it's because the files/folders are actually being rewritten, whereas when moving within the same partition they stay in the same clusters.

What I wanted was an app that could force the creation dates to stay the same regardless of where to I copy/move the files/folders.

EDIT: Actually, when MOVING between partitions, only the folders' creation date is updated, not the files'.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:49 AM by Cynic »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SafeCopy Free!
I've already tried that one, see above (third post in this thread).

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SafeCopy Free!
I've already tried that one, see above (third post in this thread).

Oops, was going too fast through the posts. Anyways, how about XXCOPY?

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think XXCOPY does what I want (see here: http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy30.htm, scroll to the bottom of the page and read the last paragraph), and it's command line only, which I'd rather avoid.

I've also tried a couple of GUIs for Robocopy from MS but I can't get it to retain the folders' timestamps, but I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the program itself or if I'm doing something wrong.

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I did a few more tests, and I don't think Robocopy does it, it only keeps the timestamps of files, folders' dates are completely ignored. At least it is able to copy files recursively, so it's better than SafeCopy Free.

Does anyone know of other alternatives? If not, it looks like I'll just have to continue using WinRAR to preserve the timestamps when moving directories across partitions.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

bjk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) has an option in its configuration that will copy the date/time of folders, too.

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, I'll look into it.

bjk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've also tried a couple of GUIs for Robocopy from MS but I can't get it to retain the folders' timestamps, but I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the program itself or if I'm doing something wrong.

Please, see the second screenshot of "CopyRite XP" on http://www.msu-hb.de.../system/robocopy.htm. There is a checkbox "Copy Timestamps" (though, I didn't try it myself).

The download can be found here: http://www.msu-hb.de...download/critexp.zip

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't tried it because I think the limitation is in Robocopy, not in its GUIs; I used Robocopy through the command line and still couldn't keep folder timestamps.

Anyhow, my search has come to an end: the latest XYplorer beta does what I want through the Backup function, I've asked Don and he implemented this feature in no time.