ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What linux needs?

<< < (10/10)

f0dder:
How about ReactOS? It started off fresh, is based on the principles of nix and is binary compatible with windows :)
-[deXter] (October 02, 2007, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ummm, "based on the principles of nix"? It's an opensource re-implementation of the NT kernel, how is that "based on nix"? (you could say based on VMS, though, considering who developed NT and how).

Edvard:
Steeladept: You mean HaikuOS?
Haiku is an open source operating system currently in development designed from the ground up for desktop computing. Inspired by the Be Operating System, Haiku aims to provide users of all levels with a personal computing experience that is simple yet powerful, and void of any unnecessary complexities.

--- End quote ---

http://haiku-os.org/

"Inspired by the Be operating system" means a microkernel written by a former Be dev and API-level compatibility with existing BeOS applications. If you recall, some folks circulated a petition about 5 years ago for Palm to release the BeOS 5 source so an open-source group could maintain it.
Palm said no.

zridling:
Although I don't share mouser's frustrations with GNU/Linux, perhaps it's because I've waded into it gradually over the past two years, and now there's only a couple of tasks that I reserve for a Windows machine in the background. At this point in my life, I'm much more agnostic toward operating systems than I ever was before. Perhaps it's because Vista is a Pandora's Box that lured lifelong Windows users like myself to try another OS and be surprised at how good it was. Now onto the question, which is only half of what I wanted to post in my little 'making the switch' series as a final post.
(01) Font rendering in some distros. For some weird reason, font rendering in the licensed distros are better in my experience, though they shouldn't be. I spend almost all my computer time reading and looking at type. The OS with the best fonts wins with the average user. Typographers don't work for free, and until someone spends a lot of money, GNU/Linux fonts will never be "as good" as those in the latest Windows version.

(02) Switching takes time (like anything else, immersion), and it took a while to find all the apps that could acceptably substitute for their Windows counterparts. That said, many Windows apps already have Linux versions, such as Nero, Opera, Filezilla, and so on. For other alternatives, visit osalt.com.

(03) Application availability. Windows has it, GNU/Linux doesn't. But it would be a smart thing for more vendors to make their mark on Linux.  File management apps suck. Period.

(04) Text Editors are too basic, or geared directly for programming. UltraEdit has announced a Linux version beta for late '08. Not soon enough.

(05) Most people don't like the lack of gaming and Photoshop, Autocad, and no enterprise-level accounting applications. It's not that GNU/Linux can't do certain things, it's just that those specific tasks were not written to be run under the Linux kernel, but written specifically for Win32.

(06) There should be a GUI for everything. Although it's more efficient, lots of newbies don't want to go to the command line. Still, I rarely ever open a command line. Really.

(07) I've come to dislike dual-booting and have opted for separate machines. It's easier to tear down and rebuild, experiment, and I tend to use one or the other for various background tasks, such as usenet downloading, gaming, or burning media. Dual-booting seemed like having both cable and satellite TV just to get a few extra channels the other does not provide.

(08) Linux has made incremental headway on the desktop for one obvious reason: it has no significant commercial backer on the desktop. The open source approach to software development usually produces products built by software developers for software developers, and often for specific tasks. As more apps become RIA (rich internet application/s), this becomes more irrelevant each day.

(09) As so many in this thread have noted, right now, ISVs [independent software vendors] have to certify their applications on a distribution-by-distribution approach. As such, Linux distros are competing on application availability now and not quality of code. GNU/Linux needs to somehow standardize the ISV certification process. The industry has a responsibility to have a program to make it easier for ISVs. Although it has LSB (Linux Standard Base), which is great, but more is needed for ISV certification.

(10) Finally, the whole "distro" scene is part and parcel of the nature of GNU/Linux which centers around ultimate customizability. I've installed and used over 40 distros in the past two years, and most of them aren't for me or my machine. But each distro is created for a specific philosophy — ease of use, speed with an old machine, multimedia, portability, research, video editing, mimicking Windows or OS X, etc. Beyond the simplicity of obtaining applications, this is often the most confusing element of switching to GNU/Linux. However, if you want a more cohesive and enclosed Windows-like entry experience into GNU/Linux, check out distros like SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop or Zenwalk or Fedora.

mahesh2k:
That's the way to post what you like or dislike.I wanted the thread to flow this way but apparently we mis the shot.i like the way u posted zridling.I'll soon take these problems to the mepis people.We'll try to sort things out but we need more involvement of users n linux.So try helping others for linux,try writing docs for programming and installation in linux.

BTW like agree with some points of yours.

:)

arunpawar:
Vista got its window border design from SkyOS check it out u 'll be amazed to see the diffrence.:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version