ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What linux needs?

<< < (9/10) > >>

[deXter]:
Personally i would much rather wait for a new clean operating system than deal with *nix.

I stick with windows mainly because of the applications available.  But like switching languages, i'd be prepared to switch if i found something nice and clean and elegant.  linux is none of these (imho).  It's a mess and burdened with the baggage of it's history.  Both windows and linux are suffering severely under the strain of age.
-mouser (September 28, 2007, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

How about ReactOS? It started off fresh, is based on the principles of nix and is binary compatible with windows :)

Although it's not yet "there", but I feel more people would switch over to ReactOS instead of Linux once it's there, myself included.

Other promising projects are SkyOS, E/OS and TinyKRNL

Armando:

How about ReactOS? It started off fresh, is based on the principles of nix and is binary compatible with windows :)
-[deXter] (October 02, 2007, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's going to take a looooonnnng while... to even be somewhat compatible with... Windows 2000/XP... let alone Vista.

[deXter]:
^ "somewhat compatible"? It's already "somewhat compatible". I've been using ROS in my boot cd for emergency operations and found that it can run quite a few win32 programs with ease. There have also been some hybrid LiveCDs projects which mixes binaries from ReactOS and WinPE to get really small and functional LiveCDs. This is more proof that ReactOS is quite compatible already.

Armando:
Well, http://www.reactos.org/support/index.php/comp/cat/id/2/, and look at the compatibility levels of the different apps...; doesn't seem very encouraging to me...  ;)
I said "somewhat compatible" only because I didn't want to invent a fake quantitative figure.
I'm not saying ReactOS isn't a nice project. It is.  :up:
But I wouldn't hold my breath. A very personal opinion, maybe.

justice:
I was putting my hopes on PC-BSD or DesktopBSD (hey they even share developments with each other), they seem to be able to make quicker decisions regarding desktop users decisions. Especially after the departure of Con Kolivas and the attitude problem of some of the driving force behind the desktop linux movement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version