ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What linux needs?

<< < (8/10) > >>

f0dder:
OS X is pretty and everything, but Apple are at least as DRM-evil as Microsoft, they artificially tie their OS to "their" hardware (even though nothing stops it from running on vanilla x86, except the restraints they've coded in), you need Objective-C to code for Cocoa (and how messy is that?!), etc...

mahesh2k:
Apple is like BMW they dont need any type of public they are concentrating on graphic designer,developers and geek peoples.

making OS dependet on hardware makes them unpotable over normal PCs.That decision made windows on regual persons pcs.

Lashiec:
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes summarised the most importants points about Linux lack of success before we started discussing the matter. Worth a read, even if everything mentioned there has been discussed here :). Be sure to read the follow-up as well.

I could also put the link to the lengthy article that leaded me there, but I stopped reading it as I found the point the guy was trying to make was totally nonsensical. I should know that, as it starts with a bad understanding of one of the phrases that Mr. Kingsley wrote (it should be said that the sentence by itself means a completely different thing of what the author intended).

Hmmm, Steve Jobs would kill for Apple to be BMW :P

Carol Haynes:
Don't you mean an iBMW ?

Shame you can't change the battery or add fuel!

Carol Haynes:
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes summarised the most importants points about Linux lack of success before we started discussing the matter. Worth a read, even if everything mentioned there has been discussed here smiley. Be sure to read the follow-up as well.
--- End quote ---

Yep - pretty much what I said early on in this thread. The trouble is for the average user a PC is an appliance these days, like the TV or fridge, and people don't want to have to install new firmware in their TV or fridge or try and convert their TV into a microwave any more than they want to spend hours tinkering with a new OS. People simply want to switch it on and do things!

OK if you have the right hardware so that Linux installs all the right drivers from the get go and automatically chucks you into KDE then it will probably be OK for the average user (except that they won't be able to buy games or software in their local store). Have a bit of hardware that needs a driver and you are in serious trouble - even assuming you can find a driver it is never terribly obvious how to get the damn thing installed and working.

Hell the first time I installed Linux (Mandrake as it happens - which was reputed at the time to have the best installer) I couldn't get any audio and my bog standard IDE CDROMs wouldn't work. After 3 weeks of emails to Mandrake I eventually got them working - but who needs that! At least on Windows if you need a driver you can put a manufacturer name and model into google and withion 0 seconds be downloading the correct driver - and all you need to do is double click.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version