ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Conserving energy

<< < (2/2)

iphigenie:
Actually we replaced all our lightbulbs with good energy saving bulbs and we noticed a very noticeable drop in our electricity bills. And none of my bulbs are on all the time.

Now there seems to be a huge difference between the energy saving bulbs you can buy in the supermarket, which here still seems to have a startup delay, wobbly light quality etc. and the bulbs I have bought online from online shops or ebay. Only the other week I was moving to a new flat (workweek residence) and changing bulbs so I picked what looked like the same philips lightbulbs which i have used in some places in our main house. The bulbs bought in the supermarket would take several seconds and flickers to turn off and were distinctively darker.

I went to ebay and bought some philips lightbulbs to see if I was mad. But no, these turn on immediately and are brighter (for the same wattage). I wonder why the supermarkets seem to be selling the 5-years-back technology.

Perry Mowbray:
I wonder why the supermarkets seem to be selling the 5-years-back technology.
-iphigenie (September 20, 2007, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe we should lobby for Use By Dates on Non-Perishables??  ;)

cranioscopical:
I went to ebay and bought some philips lightbulbs to see if I was mad. But no, these turn on immediately and are brighter (for the same wattage). I wonder why the supermarkets seem to be selling the 5-years-back technology.-iphigenie (September 20, 2007, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's interesting, I should try that myself. It's annoying to try to move forward when the result sometimes feels like a step backward.
Also, the short life of some 'long-life, low-energy' bulbs calls an energy pay-off into question when one considers manufacturing consumption.

Anything we do is not because of Global Warming, I'm more interested in Resource Efficiency or a moral use of resources.-Perry Mowbray (September 19, 2007, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here...to an extent but GW is forcing more attention to the issues.  We've been doing what we can (perhaps more accurately want to do) for the past couple of decades but we're not selfless enough to live at a level that we consider to be uncomfortable.

iphigenie:
Yes, there is a risk that the whole current Global Warming bandwagon makes everything about grams of carbon and not about sustainable living.

Dont worry about polluting, ruining resources, or toxic/unhealthy substances in your food/product. Just pay someone to plant trees or offset in some way and you can claim to be carbon neutral, and appear green.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version