ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Find me a problem solving corpus. I'm willing to pay $100 for each one you find

(1/2) > >>

urlwolf:
Are you good at finding information? This could be an interesting challenge. It could also be a very fast way of making $100 (in DC credits or paypal).

As you may know, I'm a cognitive scientist and I use corpora (large amounts of experience) to train models.
It is not very easy to find those, but given the huge amounts of information that is online, you may be able to find one for me! I need you to find large corpora of people doing ANY activity that has to do with problem solving. NOTE: the definition of problem solving is any activity where an agent (i.e., a human) needs to do a series of actions to reach a desired state. Do a search on what is considered problem solving in cognitive science (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_solving). I'm more interested in the European tradition mentioned there.

What I need is a corpus of 'log files'. E.g., if you know a gameplaying community who has logs of their members playing since a long time ago, you probably have a winner.

Here is a description of some examples of the corpora that I would like to find:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jquesada/corpusBasedPS/

These are videogames, a simulator, etc. But you can find me any activity where we keep logs for every participant; be creative. Another example would be the more 'classical' games, such as chess. A large database of chess games would be interesting too, but less so.

There's a list of features you need to fulfill for a corpus to be deemed as 'good'.

These are the features I need for a corpus to be 'valid':
1- The task can be captured in log files (e.g., a list of states and actions from the time the person starts playing -solving the problem- till the time the problem is solved, or the person has depleted her resources: e.g., running out of gas, bullets, crashing a plane, or losing all enablers so reaching the goal is impossible.
2- The logs are public, or the copyright owner of these logs doesn't mind us to use them for research
3- The task is complex and dynamic. Note: these semantically rich domains. If you find a large corpus of people playing tic tac toe, sorry, that is not what I need. I need realistic, complex activities
4- Large datasets (I.e., overall it adds up to several years of practice)
5- Each individual has many repetitions on the task under very simple conditions (e.g., landings on the same airport; games on the same 'level', etc)
6- In this corpus, you can find individuals who have been playing for a long while (e.g., weeks, or better yet, months).
7- The authors of the problem solving logs are approachable, and willing to participate in experiments doing more playing/problem solving

Since there are lots of videogames out there and people spend many hours playing, there must be plenty of opportunities to find corpora with these characteristics.

If you find me one or more of these large corpora, I'll pay you $100 each.
If you have any additional questions, please PM me.

Thanks

Cpilot:
Hehe,
You oughta take a shot at Second Life.
If you can get log files from there it'll keep you busy for years. They have different ways to access the Grid maybe you can find something of interest there.

urlwolf:
Thanks Cpilot,
I did take a look at second life.
It doesn't meet requeriments 5 and probably 7.
It's too under-constrained; I mean, it's a life! not a closed task like e.g., landing a plane. There's nothing that tells you when the task is 'done'. Or how good a solution is.

Keep them coming!

KenR:
Wow. I didn't know you did that work. I am/was a clinical neuropsychologist and did some cognitive psychology as well. I did not do a lot of research in cognitive, but it is an interesting and challenging area.

Ken

cthorpe:
What about http://www.mabiweb.com/index.php

It is a play-by-web site for a number of strategy board games.  If you select "Completed Games" on the left under "Game Manager" you can get a list of recently completed games.  When you select one, you can see the game board at the end of the game, and get a full log of all the moves made by the players.  The completed games list only has the last 7 days, but you may be able to get access to older logs if you ask.

Carl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version