ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

13 Reasons Why Linux Won't Make it to a Desktop Near You

<< < (2/7) > >>

lanux128:
Briard has penned a 2-part prequel prior to this one, also available via Gizmo..

• https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8042.msg57393#msg57393

Darwin:
The learning curve for any new OS is likely to be steep. I still marvel at how counterintuitive a Mac feels after I've been away for awhile - even though everything is right there. Linux I find to be much easier, probably because the GUI mimics Windows to a degree.

Edvard - I've tried Linux and I love it. Most of my attachment to Windows has to do with expensive software that I've purchased to run under it - it's not really a rational attachment, more sentimental, although some of the apps simply don't have analogues in Linux (ArcGIS and some 3D Geometric Morphometrics apps that I run). I've tried WINE and it's just not the same... Anyway, I consider Linux to be a very viable alternative to both Windows and OSX (which I also have running on an old iBook  - admittedly its 10.2.x not the latest greatest version, mind). I've a notebook that I will be moving from dual boot to strictly Linux (haven't decided on a distro yet) in the near future.

Armando:
haven't decided on a distro yet-Darwin (September 18, 2007, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which one have you tried?

Darwin:
Over the years I've tried Mandrake, Ubuntu, Kororaa, Saboyan, I'm sure there have been others. I'm leaning toward Ubuntu as its the last distro that I used and I really liked it. We'll see. I haven't kept a dual boot configuration for long because I'm on notebooks and have always had to think about harddisk space. Now that I've a spare notebook I figure its time to have a dedicated Linux box to play with! If all work and no play makes me a dull boy, what does all play and no work make? Not really bone idle but... what?

Armando:
I have Ubuntu installed on a computer and PCLinuxOS on the other. PcLinuxOS is really really working well. But I prefer Gnome over KDE (one silly reason being... well I love the Gnome Deskbar applet, sort of a "farr for linux"... But it's nothing like farr... yet), so I end up in Ubuntu  most of the time. There's a gnome project for PCLinuxOS (http://www.mypclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?board=68) but not very active. Anyway : PCLinuxOS is the only distribution I've installed on 4 different machines with NO manual hardware configuration to do what so ever; I'm not including peripherals in that assertion... Printers etc. are generally okay, but scanners and other fun devices are, of course, a different story... better to check before buying. Impressive nevertheless.

Like you, I remain tightly attached to windows. I've invested so much time and money, it would be stupid (and incredibly time consuming…) to dump everything… now. I'll eventually use Linux more when there's a way to use  my favorite apps on top of Linux (I’m of course talking about the one without true Linux alternative). As you say there's Wine, sure  but… I really doubt it will progress fast enough to accomodate apps written in the future (for vista — I mean, even Microsoft is having trouble to make its Oss compatible with applications designed for it !), etc.  Wine is certainly impressive, but since my first steps in Linux World — in 1996-97 — the progress has been (predictably) somewhat slowish. Vmware Fusion for Linux (???) might one day be a much better answer to my compatibility needs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version