ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need a small, closed (!) forum

(1/3) > >>

alxwz:
Does anyone know where to find a place on the web to set up a small forum for discussions of a small group of people (4 to 5, ATM, but up to a dozen should be possible)? It should be organizable into different topics and threads (just like a real forum) and enable users to upload files and images, although I don't need lots of storage space for that.
Most importantly, it should be a "closed shop", not open to the public. Neither readable by outsiders (access should be password-protected) nor indexable by bots like Google's. The intended use is for a small workshop.

I don't have an own server to set this up, which would probably be best, so I need a hosted solution. Preferably free. ;)

I looked at a lot of collaboration platforms (like Basecamp, Joyent), but none I found so far will let you organize messages by topics and threads like a real forum. Some include chat solutions (like 37signals' Campfire), but real-time chat is not what I'm looking for. Wikis (like pbWiki) can't be structured in the way I need.
There are sites that give you free forums (like freeforums.org or nabble.com), but the forums you can create there all seem to be open to the public.

Any pointers?

sri:
Try

http://www.forumgogo.com/

http://tooum.com/

alxwz:
Thanks sri,

but from what I've seen on both sites neither will let you set up a closed shop.

jgpaiva:
I've used google groups for stuff like that, and it proved itself quite useful!

steeladept:
If you have or are willing to buy it, from my understanding that is what Microsoft Groove is all about.  It is sort of like Sharepoint but for workgroups; and though there is a server option, it doesn't appear to be required.  The only question here is the forum-like posting ability.  I don't know how well it does that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version