ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Keeping attributes and creation/modification dates when copying files/folders

(1/3) > >>

Cynic:
Hi.

Is there any utility that keeps all attributes and both creation and modification dates of files and folders when copying/moving them? I'm using WinRAR to pack the files/folders and extract them at the desired location, because Explorer will only preserve the attributes in very specific situations.

I've searched the forums and it seems Directory Opus is able to do it, but I'm hoping there's a free alternative somewhere as it seems like a pretty basic feature.

hamradio:
Dont know if this will do files or keep attributes as it looks like it is for folders, but it is suppose to keep modified/creation/accessed times from what it says not sure about attributes as I said. http://www.attributemagic.com/safecopy-free.html >> You could always test it and see.  :)

Cynic:
I've done a few quick tests and unfortunately that's not quite what I'm looking for. It doesn't copy files recursively, and it only keeps the creation date if the original file is not read-only.

Still, it's better than nothing at all and it can certainly help in some specific situations, so thanks for your effort.

lanux128:
iirc, under ntfs, most copy programs will keep the original dates when copying/moving except for folders which will be the date that you copy/move and will keep on being updated every time you copy/move into that folder. this is not a problem in FAT32 but i haven't used FAT32 for some time..

Cynic:
If moving to the same partition, Explorer will indeed keep both created and modified dates; however, when copying or moving to a different partition/physical disk, the creation date will be updated, I reckon it's because the files/folders are actually being rewritten, whereas when moving within the same partition they stay in the same clusters.

What I wanted was an app that could force the creation dates to stay the same regardless of where to I copy/move the files/folders.

EDIT: Actually, when MOVING between partitions, only the folders' creation date is updated, not the files'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version