ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How much RAM do you have on your PC?

<< < (10/16) > >>

Cynic:
For your peace of mind, MemTest86+ running a whole night could be a good idea.
-Lashiec (September 26, 2007, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks.
I did what you suggested, and it reported no errors after 14 passes lasting more than 8 and a half hours. I had memory remap disabled, so I think it only tested 3008 MB, I'll enable it now and let it test the full 4 GB for another few hours.

Nighted:
I don't keep RAM on my PC. I prefer to keep it inside attached to the motherboard.  :P

Darwin:
Yippee! I bought two cheap DDR333 sticks - 1 GB each - and installed them into my notebook's motherboard (I WAS paying attention, Nighted!) and it's been recognised (Darwin jumps up and down for joy and generally makes an ass out of himself... Business as usual). As I noted in this post earlier in this thread, my notebook was *supposed* to be maxed out at a gig. I'm so happy I could... Ah, there simply aren't (polite) words. It feels like a brand new notebook!

PS was emboldened to try this because my wife's notebook takes DDR333 RAM and I would have lost nothing if it didn't work in mine (which supports RAM up to 266MHz...).

scancode:
** happy upgrade; now running in 768MB :-] **

nosh:
I'm running 1GB on a P4-300MHz. The RAM never seems to get maxed out, it's always the CPU that seems to be the bottleneck. Would it make sense for me to go for 1 GB more considering I'm not even using my current capacity to its full potential? Will XP or any apps behave differently if they detect considerably more RAM?

On a somewhat related note the only sluggish apps are Winamp (hardly used since I discovered Foobar2000) and Firefox (42 extensions  :-[, but none of them unused.) FF consumes something like 80-140 MB RAM on average, is there some way I can actually get it to use more and speed up?

Edit: This article is an interesting read. It recommends 2GB for "heavy users" but their benchmark graphs show a marginal difference in performance between 1 and 2 GB. Some unexpected results too - like, it's faster decompressing a large RAR file with 512 MB RAM than with 2GB. :)   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version