ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How much RAM do you have on your PC?

<< < (11/16) > >>

Darwin:
Can't answer your question, Nosh, but I can report that for me the big pay-off is in multi-tasking (now if I could somehow manage to shoe-horn a dual-core processor in I'd REALLY be set...) - opening all components of Office 2003 Professional (with their respective addins and macros running), Maxthon 2, Corel PaintShop Pro X2 plus Windows Media Player 11, everything runs smoothly and the computer is zippy. On a gig of RAM this was not the case... Don't know if this will help you or not.

Ralf Maximus:
On my 4GB system (well, 3.25GB) I've devoted 1.5 GB to disk cache.  End result is a ~2GB workstation with a really fast disk subsystem.

nosh:
Thanks Darwin... it depends on whether your RAM was maxed out before the upgrade, I suppose.
Knowing myself, I'm aware I probably won't be able to resist going for it, I'm just looking for one good reason to do it. My system's functioning pretty smoothly in general and I've had teething pains almost every time I've added new hardware to the box so I'm a bit circumspect. The results posted at the Tom's Hardware link I posted don't do anything to help.

Darwin:
I'll have to revisit the Tom's Hardware page (I've visited in the past)... My system was *supposed* to be taxed at 1 gig but is loving 2! This could very well have something to do with the placebo effect - I open up a bunch of processes and then ctrl-shift-esc to my Task Manager and revel in the fact that I still have 1.4GB of RAM free... Everything just *feels* more stable, more responsive and MORE! When I upgraded this laptop from 512MB to 1GB RAM the diference was not nearly so profound (I was actually a bit disappointed).

mwb1100:
On my 4GB system (well, 3.25GB) I've devoted 1.5 GB to disk cache.  End result is a ~2GB workstation with a really fast disk subsystem.
-Ralf Maximus (October 16, 2007, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

How exactly do you do that?  I'd like to have some ability to tune this on my system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version