Just gave this build a quick look. Still can't create an address book yet! So is anything created in the way of contacts lost? I imagine so for now. I guess then that importing of contacts is still a little ways off then.
If you want I can bring Saving / Loading addressbooks forward... but I'm mainly working on the functionality in the Contact window at the moment.
And yes, importing contacts is a little way off
In creating a contact I can only bring the four fields showing in the control pallet over: Formatted Name, Given Name, Family Name, and Additional Name.
That's right. You should also be able to drag the parent field "Name" across and it'll add the three children.
I have entered some Given and Family names - are they to represent First and Last names? Or something else? What is the Additional Name?
I'm using VCard3 and Hcard2 as my basis.
Additional Name(s) are what I'd call middle names.
You can change the label to whatever you like (on an adhoc basis):
Soon you'll be able to change the default label (as well as add your own user controls): I've got this working but just need to add it to the start up events.
You could also change the string used in the language file (\Settings\Language\English.language.xml)
And I initially thought that the Formatted Name field would be kind of a "Display As" field, automatically filled by the other name fields that are manually populated, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Or at least not yet - perhaps this is simply something that isn't yet implemented?
The Display As field is the one at the top. To edit you select "Edit" from the context menu:
The Formatted Name field is a defined HCard / VCard field, I was thinking that you may want to use something different from that as your Display As field?
As for automatic filling, there are two options:
- Formatted Name currently has a default value of name.given & " " & name.family, which will be filled when added to the Contact window after the given name and family name are entered
- Formatted Name could have a default source path of name.given & " " & name.family which means it would be updated automatically. I have not added this at the moment, but soon users will be able to override the default values with their own See linking in a previous post:
This version demonstrates the linking abilities. I've written a blog post: ContactFX :: Field Linking
, but briefly...
Each field in ContactFX can, rather than hold static data, show data in another field which can be in the same contact, a different contact and, eventually
, even a different addressbook file.
The source string can be added to the field by using the Link Effect when dragging and dropping: (see attachment in previous post)
or by typing directly into the text box: (see attachment in previous post)
Anyway I am not certain what can be done just yet with this. I am probably missing some information at this point. Is there more I need to read somewhere?
It's mainly testing functionality of the main panel at the moment
but this will form the basis of how most of the other panels will work (drag and drop / copy and past / edit / etc) ... I'm often not sure of the best way to do something until I start playing with it... and all comments from potential users is very helpful.
This is my tentative roadmap from the OP
This is the tentative roadmap that I'm working toward on my slow march to a 0.1 beta version
- Version 0.0.2: Basic Window Framework - Main Panel
- Name Fields (
display name, first name, additional name, family name, formatted name)
- Drag and Drop (
Move / Copy / Link ) Copy & Paste Portable Configuration Command-line (-tray hides to tray on startup) Language Files (see \Settings\Language\English.language.xml)
- Version 0.0.3: Lists Panel
- List panels
- WebLink fields
- Version 0.0.4: Tab Panel
- Tab Pages
- Address Fields (POB, Extended, Street, Locality, Region)
- Categorization / Type Fields & Settings
- Version 0.0.5: Notes Panel
- Note Lists
- Note Fields (Internal / External)
- Tag Fields
- Version 0.0.6: Integration Functionality
- Command-line Options
- Addressbook Search / Filter
- Version 0.0.7: Data Fields
- Add remaining Data Fields
- User Fields
- User Field Editor
- Version 0.0.8: File Functionality
- Save / Import / Export
- Upload to FTP