I just switched to this for my low-power server. I have unique need, and thought I might post it
When running a low power file sever (laptop with a broken screen), the VGA never sees the light of day. VNC, Various web guis, and CLI is all that gets used, and when it has to be a Windoze box due to special constraints
, you need a lightweight launcher to take over for explore.exe, because we sure can't let that guy take up some of my precious 100MB of ram.
- Lightweight RAM and Swap, no page hits
- Custom icon bitmap (ico, exe, and png load)
- Parameter entry per item
- No Alpha blending
- Button click verification
- Always on top
- No dock/Dock without a giant ugly gray bar (invisible background)
- Independent of explorer.exe
- Already running or launch in progress indication
- Take focus on mouse over (to help with magic eaten clicks over VNC)
RocketDock is my workstation solution, but for a file server its not too cool. No button click verification (the laggy bounce over VNC doesn't count) and the running indicator thrashes the file system on a crappy box. The pretty Alpha and scaling is cool but not needed. I floated around looking for an AHK based replacement but the one mouser mentioned fit the bill at the moment.